Housing safety question...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie66

Hi all,

My rascals Chicco & Chinno started peeing on their beautiful clay house (un-glazed, made by my daughter). Cleaning with vinegar:water solution didn't convince them it is not their wood-shaving potty dish but a house. No idea why had they started doing so more than a year after receiving the clay house, but I don't think I can convince them otherwise, so I had to remove it from their cage. They have now only a fleece-covered hanging tube, a hammock and a Kaytee Tropical Fiddle Sticks Hideout (and lots of shelves / ledges and of course a chin-spin).

At the same time period, my bread machine pan was replaced. So... I have the bread machine pan, perfectly metallic with the handle (and paddle) removed for safety, asking to be reused as a small hiding place. My concern: the inside of the pan, as well as its rim, is coated with Teflon. They might decide to nibble on it to see if it is breakable.
Do you think it is safe to let my rascals have the bread-machine pan as a hideout?

Thanks, stay safe,

I wouldn't trust it, a chin would be able to chew the teflon off which wouldn't be good.

Back