housing question for my two boys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkimariec

pit bull mama
so my two boys are litter mates and housed together. the other day I gave them each a new kind of twig and my boy Loki took apollos twig away from him. Apollo didn't care but I worried that one day ill come home to find one of them hurt. what do you guys think? should I separate them? they do love each other and are always cuddling. I have the critter nation cage so if I have to I can put on on top for now if need be. I just really don't want to separate them. any thoughts?

I have singles because I'm too afraid to have two together. Lots of people have two together and they do fine though. Honestly, there really is no way to know if they could turn on each other in an hour, or tomorrow, or ever. You'll have one who is more dominant over the other, and they may live that way happily for years. They may be best buds and then one day one turns on the other. It's a risk you take pairing them up.

I don't think that stealing a stick is a reason to separate. Have they ever shown signs of aggression toward each other?

I would leave them together unless you see signs of aggression. Aggression is very different than a brother taking a stick. Since you have only had them 3 days you will probably over analyze every little thing they do for a while. It's what all good new owners do. Let them settle in for a while and see how they do.
:)

I have two chins. One is from a petstore (Chester), one is a rescue (Jeffy). I was lucky that they got along great, i have read other posts that chins might not get along and might fight. My rescue is a dominant one, he always steals sticks from Chester (even i always give each a stick at the same time), but Chester doesnt seem to mind at all, he is such a gentle boy, he always looks confused after his stick got stolen, well i just give him another stick then. Also during bath time, the dominant one always gets in first but my other chin doesnt mind, he just waits patiently outside the bath house until the other chin is done. :)

So, i think you should just keep an eye on them for now and see how they interact with each other.

Back