Houdini's surgery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

I forgot to post this here on wendsday as well
----

So the time has come. Houdini's surgery is scheduled for monday (26th).

Just got word today. And when i went in there to get him his fluids the doc told me i can either do it tomorrow (thurs) or monday. She said there thursday surgery schedule was already book and they were jsut trying to squeeze him in. - Monday however the schedule was more open. They would have more time, and more ppl there to monitor Houdini and what not. So i opted for monday. Id rather them take there time and do it right.

For some reason she also had picked of a bag of Mazuri chin food. And she asked if i had wanted it (for free none the less). She already new that it was a different food that what i used. (Weve had a number of discussions both in person and on the phone about not only my chin but medical and anatomy questions and such on chins in general.) But it tied in with a different question i had asked as well about supplements. Figured that maybe something different might get houdini eating a little bit more. Since houdini is still eating, just not enough to keep his weight up. It looks like the novalty of the EFL has worn off. He eats some of it but not as much. So maybe something else new might get him in the mood some. - No harm in trying. I made sure to include there regular food in a dish as well, but in the second dish i put some of the mazuri pellets. Which Chico actually went right for. But later i saw houdini picking at the mazuri pellets to. So hopefully he will eat a bit.

But monday is the day.. here's hoping for the best.

I hope the surgery goes well. Keeping you and Houdini in my thoughts and prayers.

Once the vet got in she called me before they started. Went over everything they found. Even tho all the rly bad health issues happened after the stone was found, it was likely only a symptom of an underling issue. As such, even if houdini made it through surgery and recovered, he would still have many of these issues and would likely be on fluids every day at the least.

When i dropped him off houdini was acting lethargic. Not moving around rly, made no effort or resistance to anything. They gave him some fluids while he waited. By the time they called me and i went in he was up and moving about again; curious. It was nice to see him up and about again.

But with the news of the unknown underling problem and that the surgery, even if gone well, would still leave so many health problems, i had no real choice but to put him down. Wouldnt do any good to put him through all that.

I asked them to do an autopsy to see if they can find out what the underling issue is. Since i have his parents and 2 sisters i thought it best to know.

10501670_968910289819103_2485137944758449278_n.jpg

12065997_968910323152433_7392457095249912235_n.jpg

12039532_968910363152429_1670264235924811669_n.jpg

Oct-26-15 2:26pm Houdini died in my arms.

12189750_968910396485759_2555671567431600755_n.jpg

Master Houdini was born Oct-19-2010. He was 5 years 1 week old today. Far to young...

I’m so sorry for your loss. Houdini knows how much you love him and how hard you tried to help him. Rest in peace sweet boy :angel8:

They did an autopsy on Houdini. Finds were pretty scarey...
(as if the bladder stone wasnt enough)

marketly enlarged heart - cardiomegaly
liver swollen - multi color
lungs not aerated - might have a few absesses
kidneys were discolored

My poor Houdini.. :cry3:

So sorry for your loss. At least with the autopsy you now know without a doubt you did the right thing letting him go. You did all you could for him, even though in the end that meant let him peacefully leave his failing body so he could be pain free.

Back