High Quality Chinchilla cage for under $150

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinsForLife

I am getting a chinchilla in a couple of months and need a high quality cage. Preferably one alot like the critter nation one, but one that is a little more affordable. The critter nation is like $250.(will replace the ramps, floors, etc)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-12-13-04-10.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-12-13-04-10.png
    350 KB · Views: 3
I will replace any plastic. What type of cage do you have? I would get critter nation but it's nearly $300!

The Ferret Nation and Critter Nations are pretty much the best you can buy right now. One great thing about them is you if you can't afford a double right away you can actually buy a single unit now, and then save up for an add-on later. Critter Nation single unit it's not under $150 on amazon though. They do go on sale from time to time though. I also know people have had luck checking classifieds for used ones, they are really sturdy cages so if cared for they can last decades. Most other cheaper ones you might get a few years out of before needing a new one.

The Ferret Nation and Critter Nations are pretty much the best you can buy right now. One great thing about them is you if you can't afford a double right away you can actually buy a single unit now, and then save up for an add-on later. Critter Nation single unit it's not under $150 on amazon though. They do go on sale from time to time though. I also know people have had luck checking classifieds for used ones, they are really sturdy cages so if cared for they can last decades. Most other cheaper ones you might get a few years out of before needing a new one.
How big are the one story? Is it big enough? I found them for $150 in multiple places, just thought this one seemed better since it's bigger for the price. It says critter nation in the description but I don't think it is that brand. The only negative reviews were for sugar gliders and guinea pigs. Idk...I'll do whatever you recommend. 😊

I don't know anything about that one, but since the bar spacing is 7/8" it would only work once the chin an adult. A similar cage to that that people seems to like is the Feisty Ferret https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendr...13161436&sprefix=fiesty+ferre,aps,266&sr=8-16 But it's nowhere near as sturdy as the CN or FN cages (at best I;ve seen it last about 5 years) and only one door opens making it harder to clean, as well as it has a wire floor that needs to be covered to prevent injury. Also the bar spacing is only suitable for an adult as well.
How big are the one story? Is it big enough? I found them for $150 in multiple places, just thought this one seemed better since it's bigger for the price. It says critter nation in the description but I don't think it is that brand. The only negative reviews were for sugar gliders and guinea pigs. Idk...I'll do whatever you recommend. 😊
A single story is enough room for one chinchilla, it's 2 feet wide, 3 feet long, and 2 feet high (not including the stand). A single unit is also perfect for a kit since you don't want the cage to be too tall at first or you risk it falling and getting hurt or worse. As I said too you can always save up for an add-on unit later for when the chin is bigger and could use more room.

I'll take a pic of my current cage. Btw, it has saw dust on the bottom right now, its not for my chinchilla. It's not for ,you chinchilla, there just wasn't anything in the bottom of the cage and it was driving me crazy. I know, it's very small, that some why I created this thread. I've only ever had guinea pigs.😕

Attachments

• 1613162003859-1478194951.jpg
    1613162003859-1478194951.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 5
The Nation cages really are a solid investment, I've had mine for about 10 years now and it is still like new and I can easily see it lasting another 10. So although they are pricey it's likely the only cage you will need to buy for the life of the chin, and may even still be usable for the next.

I'll take a pic of my current cage. Btw, it has saw dust on the bottom right now, its not for my chinchilla. It's not for ,you chinchilla, there just wasn't anything in the bottom of the cage and it was driving me crazy. I know, it's very small, that some why I created this thread. I've only ever had guinea pigs.
Yeah that cage is not going to work for a chinchilla, that isn't even big enough for a guinea pig. It wouldn't even work for a temporary cage for a kit since the bar spacing looks much wider then 1/2". I might work as an emergency cage for when the chin is a adult though, if you need to evacuate quickly or something.

I will probably do that. But so you can see it, here is a pic from one of the reviews... and a picture of the water bottle compared to the one in the picture (I have the same one)
Ps: That's a ten gallon fish tank behind me if you are wondering!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-12-14-41-22.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-12-14-41-22.png
    692.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1613162534128-634897639.jpg
    1613162534128-634897639.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 8
Yeah that cage is not going to work for a chinchilla, that isn't even big enough for a guinea pig. It wouldn't even work for a temporary cage for a kit since the bar spacing looks much wider then 1/2". I might work as an emergency cage for when the chin is a adult though, if you need to evacuate quickly or something.
Yes, I know! Thats why I'm looking now. I know it's not. I've had this cage for a long time. It's from petsmart. Kids got it like 7 years ago, it was our first guinea pig. Trying to do more research for her.

What do you think about that cage? I sent a pic...it looks alot like critter nation. Btw that is a sugar glider in there.

I will probably do that. But so you can see it, here is a pic from one of the reviews... and a picture of the water bottle compared to the one in the picture (I have the same one)
Ps: That's a ten gallon fish tank behind me if you are wondering!
I've never even heard of that brand so I can't say how good or bad the cage itself is. Going by the measurements of the cage I think that might be the same brand bottle but a different size. The cage is only a little bit bigger then a single unit critter nation, only tall instead of wide (CN is 12 cubic feet that cage is 14.8 cubic feet).
Here is a similar cage (with everything removed and replaced with wood) to that Topeakmart one compared to a Ferret Nation (same size as a Critter Nation but with 1" mostly vertical bars).
1499381b5ce4c69d7b32e70645c4a7c1.jpg
(Ferret Nation on the left and Feisty Ferret on the right.)

Also the description on amazon says it's 7/8" bar spacing so it's no good for a kit, they will squeeze right through it, or worse get stuck trying and end up dead or with you needing to cut the bars to free them. Also the floors are wire so you would need to cover them or they can get a foot or leg caught and broken.

Back