Hidden Cage Dangers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlagueStar

I have acquired 2 large cages secondhand for my chins. Although they were clean, I scrubbed them with bleach/dishwashing liquid, hosed them down well, and let them air for several weeks. I have removed all the plastic parts and wire ramps. I plan on adding a divider of wood to reduce the maximum fall distance to about 18", and other shelves, toys, and a wheel/saucer.
The first cage is this one:
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/sturdy-cage.htm
which is where the first owner purchased it. The second one is a "knock-off" of the first one:
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/images/store/propet.jpg
similar, but not quite as durable. Mine has one large door.
My questions:
1. I read on one page that "some other" cages are coated with something that may be toxic. Is this something that I have to worry about? Or just scaremongering?
2. The cages both have plastic pans. Above them, there is a removable floor made out of the same wire mesh as the cage itself. Is this floor chin-safe? I don't see them spending a lot of time on it, I'm not worried about bumblefoot, just the possibility of a broken limb. The spacing is about 1/2' between the wires. I can: put some cardboard down, some seagrass mats, cut boards , or try and hire somebody here to make a fleece. I could also make a floor out of 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth. Putting a lot of stuff on the floor will make it hard to remove to clean, which I would like to avoid. I can't tell what might be best as far as floors go, my cages now have the 1/2" mesh which seems to be fine, although I make sure the chins don't have to stand on it much. It looks as if there's no way to guarantee perfect chin safety, but I don't want to miss something obvious.
P*S

They both look like nice cages. As far as the wire bottoms, how long are the spaces? You say 1/2" apart, but are they like 1" x 1/2" or 2" x 1/2" spaces? If so, that poses an issue because they can get their back feet in there, twist and then not be able to get out when they struggle, leading to a broken foot. Wire bottoms should be no bigger than 1/2" x 1/2".

You could also get some metal pans made specifically for your cage. Bass Equipment is a good company for this http://www.bassequipment.com/default.aspx

Personally I wouldn't worry about the wire coating, most cages made for animals have safe coating on them.

I've been succesful with covering the bottoms with 1/4 x 1/4 hardware screen, available @ Ace, but cheaper at Home Improvement stores - cut with poultry shears, and wrap the edges, crimp with pliers! Done!
And I always give them some 1 X ? KDP on the floor, to stand on, too.

I'd say #1 is mostly FUD. The Bass pans are galvanized metal. Martin's Cages are galvanized metal. If you do use vinegar on zinc, it will strip the coating (especially if you soak it as some suggest). Then you're balancing the gains of removing zinc with the disadvantages of possible rusting. I don't know specifically why zinc is so bad for small animals, but from the people I know who do metal work, it's probably better not to remove the coating/plating.

I had that same cage when I just had one chin. I loved it! My only complaint was the one larger door. The door is large enough to fit a chin spin or other wheel so it isn't that bad. I also took out the wire bottom and just used the plastic bottom with shavings. I put fleece around the bottom of the cage (on the outside) to keep the shavings in, though with the smaller bar spacing it wasn't too bad even without the fleece. You can also put a 1/4x1/4 or 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth over the wire floor if you don't want them to be on the plastic bottom. I found it very difficult to get the floor out though with the hardware cloth around it. Once I removed it I was much happier just using the plastic floor. I had no chewing on it due to there not being high sides. I don't think the chins even knew it was there. You could also put a fleece liner on the floor instead of bedding if you choose.

As for the paint I never had an issue with it and I used it for two years. My chin was also a periodic bar chewer and was just fine. 99% of all cages are coated with something, even our forever loved Ferret Nations we recommend.

Hi, thanks to everybody who responded! I've been busy....
I had purchased some 1/2" hardware cloth and new end nippers, so I cut a piece to fit on the wire bottom and took the sharp edges off with the bench sander.
It's been harder to affix the new stuff than I had anticipated. I had been planning on building a large cage, so I purchased all the "J clips" and tool, hog rings and pliers, etc. I guess the J clips aren't the best thing for this job.
@Alli713: Thanks for explaining *why* the spacing is important.
@Rickman: Could you explain "wrap the edges, crimp with pliers"?

I'm afraid if I wrap the cloth around the entire bottom panel, it will be hard to remove, although it's possible there's so much slop it's not a problem. I may try tying the HW cloth on with wire; I've already invested the time in cutting the piece to size. The second cage I will study more carefully.
P*S

Cut it a little larger, all the way around, fold the access under, leaving a small overhang and wrap it around the wire, crimping it together with pliers!
I used 1/4 x 1/4, and had a full 1/4 inch wrapped under - cut open @ the bars!
1/2" might be a little tougher!

Back