Hey everyone - Cage / Thoughts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is everyone been, lately? Since school has started picking up I haven't really had any spare time to talk about my chinchillas or to ya'll in general.

I've been doing good, just working on my grades
Puff, my pink white is still as curious and as sweet as ever
While Cookie, my standard, is still as cautious and precious as ever

They have both been healthy and doing well, so I guess it's been a pretty smoothe couple of months. *KNOCK ON WOOD* ;)

So now i'm here for ya'lls thoughts and or opinions.
I currently have the two in a ferret nation F142 with the middle shelf removed but by next week that will all be changed.

I plan on seperating the top and bottom again, and have the top dedicated to the exercise wheel and play time, while on the bottom I have there hidey houses, food bowl/hay/waterbottle, more ledges, some hammocks set up.

Does that sound good? But I guess what i'm really asking is; where can I find a few MATCHING hammock pieces, and some well made ledgies for a REASONABLE price. Also, where may I find some screws for the top park of the ferret nation, or some that match those.

Thanks guys, and if you want post pics of your chins and introduce them and yourselves!
:thumbsup:

My first suggestion would be to reverse your idea - keep the house, hammock, food, etc. on the top and use the bottom for the wheel, toys, etc.
When they sleep they are going to naturally want to be up as high as possible. Mine all prefer to sleep on the topmost shelf. I keep a long tunnel up there for them and that is where they prefer to crash for the day.
Also, I think having the big heavy wheel at the bottom will help keep the cage more weight-balanced. I worry about putting too much weight in the top level because of those little stick legs the FN's have.

I had the middle level removed initially too, but you can fit much more stuff into the cage when you put it back in! Good plan.

I agree about the reverse idea. My chinchillas like to hang out at the top of the cage when they are sleeping so it would be best to put the hammock near the top.
I know that Ali (alli713) makes some wonderful fleece items and has a large section of fleece to choose from as well.

Last edited:
Hey Shawn! Glad to hear Cookie is ok and that she recovered. Last we heard from you was in chat back in Oct. I agree with the others to keep the chins on the top vs. the bottom.

I agree with everyone too. My chins always go up to sleep. Post some pics when you put it together.

Back