He's kinda snappy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrosh

So ive had Viktor and Jayce for a couple of months now and Jayce i can pet and pick up at this point, which is pretty great progress! He doesn't particularly enjoy it but he tolerates it enough.

Viktor however really doesnt like being touched and will just run off accordingly. I dont try to push him so i just hold my hand out to him to let him sniff me and sometimes he puts his paw on my hand too but nowhere near as comfortable as Jayce is.
And that's all fine while hes in the cage and i am reaching in through the open cage door.. but sometimes throughout the evening when im just walking by the cage, I hold up my hand to him, the metal seperating us. And he will from time to time sniff me and the hop off, other times he will just suddenly WHIP forwards like hes suddenly trying to bite. Tonight he sniffed curiosly as he normally does so i talked to him gently and suddenly he barked, whipped around so fast i couldnt even tell if he did try to bite or not, and ran off.

Could this be some kind of trauma or something?
Jayce is nothing like this at all, hasn't even barked once and will just gently shove me off or hop away if im bothering him, so Viktors very intense behavior, especially when it seems to be just while there is the cage seperating us, seems kinda weird 😵‍💫

It sounds like he's just being a chin. All chins are different. You can have one that is super friendly and one who wants nothing to do with you. He seems to still be settling in as the barking is a "warning" sound. Just keep doing what you're doing. I would advise though, not doing too much through the bars. Instead, open the door to say hi or visit with him.

Back