Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinsForLife

So, I got my chinchilla last Sunday and litter trained him within a week! He goes in the litter box every time, which is great! Exept now only goes in bowls, wherever he goes! Including in his dust bath house. Idk how to get him to stop or even if there is a way, but I'm having to throw out new dust after every bath! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Or links to cheaper dust if not,😂

How long are you leaving the bath in the cage before he pees in it? or does he pee in it right away? If it's not right away try shortening the dust baths. If it's right away then try putting less in the bath, also I forget if you showed me, what are you using for a bath again? You can also cut the baths down to just once a week, so he really feels like he needs it before you give him a bath.

Well, it's not RIGHT away. And it's just when I get him out for playtime. I only have him out for 5 minutes while he takes his bath and then he goes back in his cage. He pees in it after rolling in it about 2-3 times and then won't get back in once he does. He doesn't really bathe much, I may need to do once a week. I have been doing 3 times (Monday, Wednesday and Friday or Saturday) I was using that candy jar but he acted like he couldn't fit last week so I started using a grass baking pan. (which is the same thing I'm using for a littler box so may be part of the problem now that I think about it) The dust bath really did have like an inch of dust in it, he just got it everywhere! Also, umm..he pees on his toys as well, is that normal?

Attachments

• 1619489755615-576243920.jpg
    1619489755615-576243920.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1
Hm, what size the candy jar? I use a one gallon jar for my two and they fit fine, both even sometime go in at once (but they don't both fit 🤣). Also yeah if you are doing the baths too often sometimes they don't care as much, especially kits, you need them to actually want to take a bath. If you are using the same type pan for the dust and litter you are likely confusing him.

Peeing on the toys happens, I would try to limit the number in the cage at any given time so the ones he has have more value. Make sure he has hanging toys all the time but limit the toss toys to maybe one or two at a time.

Although the chilldust is currently suppose to be the best (I've never tried it since it's not in Canada), other good brands are the Oxbow Poof, Lixit Blue Beauty, Petco's You and Me and the PetSmart's All Living World dust (that is what I am currently using) in case you want to compare prices.

Hm, what size the candy jar? I use a one gallon jar for my two and they fit fine, both even sometime go in at once (but they don't both fit 🤣). Also yeah if you are doing the baths too often sometimes they don't care as much, especially kits, you need them to actually want to take a bath. If you are using the same type pan for the dust and litter you are likely confusing him.

Peeing on the toys happens, I would try to limit the number in the cage at any given time so the ones he has have more value. Make sure he has hanging toys all the time but limit the toss toys to maybe one or two at a time.
It's a one gallon. Sorry, I didn't mean he couldn't fit, I meant he acted like he couldn't reach the opening. He is bigger and can now so I'll switch back. So I need to go ahead and order hanging toys?

Although the chilldust is currently suppose to be the best (I've never tried it since it's not in Canada), other good brands are the Oxbow Poof, Lixit Blue Beauty, Petco's You and Me and the PetSmart's All Living World dust (that is what I am currently using) in case you want to compare prices.
I am using Petco's You and Me. I will probably eventually switch to chilldust, I just didn't have time to order it.

It's a one gallon. Sorry, I didn't mean he couldn't fit, I meant he acted like he couldn't reach the opening. He is bigger and can now so I'll switch back. So I need to go ahead and order hanging toys?
Yeah I would get some hanging toys so he can't pee on them, lol. Some chins also prefer hanging toys over toss toys.

If you have some stainless steel wire you can also just drill or put some of the toss toy pieces on a wire for a cheaper hanging toy using what you already have.

Back