help?!?!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

hi everyone...im so happy that this site is back...i bought a beautiful baby chinchilla from a petstore less than 2 months ago...i was told by the manager that he was a boy...(she picked him up, turned him over handed him to me and said "it's a boy")...at the time i didnt question it as i hadn't seen any pictures of male/female genitalia before....after looking at some pictures online I am unsure if my baby boy is in fact a baby boy... i know that the genitalia can appear very similar which is why there are so many cases where they are mis-sexed....i know that for males the penis is supposed to be separated from the anus whereas for females they are suppose to be close together...but i am wondering how close??...several weeks ago I tried to do a ring check...it was not very successful...he was very squirmy even though my boyfriend was also helping me hold him...I am worried to try again because I do not want to cause any damage or pain if he is actually a she...i took a few pictures...they are not very good but they are the best i could do at the time...i will try and post some more tomorrow...any help is appreciated...thanks :)

P1290388.jpg
P1290390.jpg

Looks like a girl to me too but if you could get a clearer picture it would be easier to confirm. In general, girls don't have a space (or much of one) between the cone and the anus, boys do.

thanks everyone...it's what i thought also lol...and thanks brandon for posting the picture...now i have a baby girl lol...although im not sure if i will be able to stop calling him my little boy lol...ive gotten too used to that!! luckily she wasn't put with any other chinchilla at the petstore...thanks again for all your help...I will try to post some clearer pictures... :)

yup, looks like a girl from that picture (kinda hard to do a hair-ring check on a female lol)

however, distance between the cone and the anus can be misleading. hold the chin with it's head pointing away from you and lift it slightly by the tale. when looking at the cone from the back view you should see a slit which a male will not have. this is a more reliable way to tell them apart if you do not have experience.

good luck.

Back