Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ChinchillaChick712

My chin was just out running around and now something is really wrong with him. he seems out of it but when i put him in his cage he was fine. Not even 5 min later he is laying down and hardly moving. I am freaking out!

how long was he out playing? are his ears red? what was the temperature in the play area? is he just laying down because he is tired? some of my chins lounge out after playtime, making them appear exhausted but they were only out for 20 minutes so i know it is not possible.

Update

Thank you everyone for your concern! Two seconds after I posted that I packed Momo up and drove him to the emergency vet. He is on oxygen and antibiotics and staying overnight. Depending on how he does they may do a chest x-ray and draw blood.

When I noticed him laying in his cage he was barely breathing and limp, and when he got to the vet he was breathing pretty fast and sitting up. I am thinking that he got over heated. He was out for almost a half hour and it was kind of warm because I had just turned off the A/C but it was about 73 still inside. I know how sensitive they are to heat, but I guess I just wasn't thinking that he would get warm from running. I am for sure going to get him one of those chin chillers for his cage and if anyone else has suggestions it would be appreciated. Please keep him in your prayers and I will post an update tomorrow.

Thank you again!

Chrissie

Last edited:
Great job getting him to the vet quickly. I will be saying a prayer and hope that he is well soon.

Also instead of a chinchiller you can always go to the hardware store and get a granite or marble tile. They are twice the size and about the same price. They may even cut the tile there for you and then you have two.

i have the big granite tile in almost all my cages. if it gets real warm, you can put them in the freezer for a bit and then alternate them in the cage if you keep extras on hand.

hopefully momo is just fine. maybe try more frequent but shorter playtimes on going if it was an issue of overheating.

I keep frozen bottles of water in fleece covers in the freezer for when they might need a little something cooler to help them cool down. :thumbsup:

Several members on here make the fleece covers. I had Allison at Camphor Chins make some custom ones for me large enough for a 2-liter bottle for those summer days when it's expected to be in the 90s. I add them to their cages as extra insurance for their comfort.

I also have one for myself that I call a "Middle Aged Babe Cooler" for those "Special Summer" moments!!! ;)

Ha ha "Middle aged babe cooler" I love it. You could make a fortune with those, you should totally patent that idea.ROFL.

I thought about it, and told Allison, too, but I think that it would be too much trouble for not a lot of profit. I don't know, though, stranger things have been invented and patented!!!

I use tiles as well as terra cotta pot bottoms (the bottoms that you put the pot in to keep the water from running all over the floor). They are cheap and my babies love them! I keep one in each cage at all times and an extra for each one in the freezer just in case. I got mine @ jo ann fabrics for like 2.99 a piece!

Back