Help with chin skin.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agroeve

Ok long one sorry. I rescued an adult chin so no idea how old she is or her full backround. She does not like being held but is comfortable jumping over me during playtime and having me scratch her while in the 'bath'. However she was completely matted and after a week of trying to gently brush them out found a brilliant post on here explaining it wont work and a link to a lady showing how to get them out with a special comb. Got the comb, managed to get the huge ones out without being bitten or shouted at or hurting her but it left some huge bald patches. Looks awful like i have been nasty to her but hey ho i know it had to be done. My worry is the skin of the very large bald patch on her hindquarters. I thought she had sores but when i touch them they are not raised or crusty. I will try to get a pic during playtime later but can't promise as she loves to run from cameras lol. They are circular in shape, a black ring to the outside with a whiteish discolouration to the middle. Tbh i really thought it was a sore with an infection in the middle but as i say it just feels like normal skin when touched and it does not hurt her when i touch them. I can see she has at least 2 of different sizes. Could it be old wounds that have healed and left scarring, normal skin markings or even new fur getting ready to come through. She is a grey colour if that makes any difference. Hoping someone can put my mind at ease.
TIA

If you could get a pic that would really help. I know the fur can look odd when growing back in, you can see it under the skin before it comes through the skin, also with greys, the tip of the fur is black, but it's really hard to say if that could be what it is without actually seeing it.

Not the best picture as she is such a fidget. that's my knuckle next to the mark for a size guide and thats the largest mark on her rump

Attachments

• chin.jpg
    chin.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5
Hm, it could just be fur growing in, kind of hard to tell still :unsure:. I would keep an eye on it, it can take months for the fur to fully grow back and look normal again. If she starts messing with it, or it becomes raised, bloody, or anything like that I would take her to the vet to get checked out.

Doing a quick google search for an image since I don't have one myself, here is a clearer image of what it looks like when fur is growing in (this was after a large furslip). Does it kind of look like that? maybe with a bit more skin over it though?

1641753778697.png

Thank you, it was a big fur slip while taking out a huge matt. I knew i had not hurt her but panicked that it was an infection under the matt but as i say its not raised its not hurting her or bothering her in any way thankfully. It does look like the picture you posted so i think it was new fur already on its way through under the matt. I will keep an eye on it, i just have to build trust again now, she hates being held so not letting her run away to remove the matts made her wary. She will still jump up and on my legs when i sit on the floor at playtime but any movement towards her with my hands sends her running and i dont want to keep catching her and stressing her out. A few weeks without chase and grab will hopefully repair our friendship.

Hi guys, I really need some help!
I bought a chinchilla on Saturday, it's my first time owning one. I provided him with everything he needs (food/water) and a temporary cage that he seems to be fine with for now. I didn't force touching him the first couple of days then I started to get him out for playtime and we kinda bonded. I noticed a small area near his neck that had a weird texture and when I looked closely it seemed to be some flakes but no baldness and I'm not sure if there is something in his ears, I also noticed some hair loss in one of his hands and one of his feet. I don't know what to do, not sure if it's ringworm or if it's a normal thing..
This morning I've noticed that he is gagging like this video for some reason, I've been crying ever since I'm so confused and I don't know what to do. I called a vet but she didn't even help or give some advice she directly suggested bringing him for consultation and wanted me to pay, at the moment I can't go to the clinic because I have no one to take me, all I needed is some temporary solution but I got nothing. I don't want him to die I got so attached to him.

Last edited:
I think you really need to get your chin to the vet. The vet couldn't help you over the phone because they can't diagnose or treat animals without seeing and examining them in person. It would have been irresponsible for her to attempt to do so. She told you to bring him in because your chin needs medical care. There's not really a temporary, at-home alternative.

The flaky skin and hair loss sounds like it could possibly be ringworm, which isn't immediately life-threatening, but still needs to be diagnosed and treated sooner rather than later, because it will continue to spread and get worse the longer it's left untreated. That coughing sound he's making is concerning, especially the frequency with which he's doing it. I really would get him to a vet as soon as you possibly can.

I took him to the nearest vet (which isn't that advanced or specializes in exotics because his condition was getting worse) and it appeared that he had scabies and his body temperature was low ( which he said could be from the ac which I don't understand because chinchillas need cool room temperature to live) so he applied some cream on his affected part and told me to try to rise his body temperature and bring him back so he can proceed with the treatment. He was talking to me like chinchin was leaving me. As soon as I returned home I did what I was advised to do minutes later he collapsed and it felt like he was dying. I tried everything and my sister was there helping me I stayed by his side until his soul left his little body. The vet told me that he might've actually been already sick and that's why I got him with a low price (basically ive been tricked into buying him and I dont regret having him home even if this was his fate) and that could be right because from what I read that chinchillas can be really good at hiding their sickness. I hope that I made him happy in his last days in life.. I will never forget how sweet he was, he bonded with me so fast.. even when he was dying he jumped into my lap and stayed there.. I'm really heartbroken I've been crying all day long, god knows how well I treated him, I wish that he didn't die like that.. I mean how fast it happened is just crazy. Thank you so much for your help and advice.
RIP chinchin you will always have a place in my heart💜.

I'm so sorry, H.Alsuwaidi. :( It sounds like you did everything you could for him, and I'm glad that he got to spend his last days with someone who loved him so much. Given how quickly he went downhill, it does seem likely that he wasn't in great health when you got him. Unfortunately there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who don't properly care for the animals they sell and are just in it to turn a profit. I'm so sorry that you and your little guy fell victim to that terrible practice.

I'm guessing that his body temperature was so low because he was dying and his body was shutting down. Though just as a note for the future, while chins do need a cool environment and can overheat easily, domestic chins don't have quite the same tolerance for cold as their wild ancestors. Temps below 50F or so can be problematic, so they should be kept cool, but not COLD. Ideally their environment should be somewhere in the 55-70F range. That's what I aim for in my chin's room, anyway.

I'm just so sorry this happened to you. We had to euthanise one of our rats last week after a long battle with a nasty respiratory infection, so I really feel for you. Rest in peace, Chinchin. ❤

Thank you Jawramik for your support I really appreciate every word. I'm so sorry to hear about your rat RIP that is so bad. I know he/she was a brave, strong one, I'm pretty sure you did your best to help:cry:. I kinda feel better knowing I'm not going through this alone. You're such a helpful and kind person, god bless you.
If I got a chin sometime in the future, I will definitely head here to seek help and I will try educating myself more and preparing well before getting one, its really not an easy job taking care of one but I know I can give them all the love they deserve since I really like rodents, also after knowing how chinchillas are endangered, I just want to help in that case. I really loved Chinchin even though I had him for a short period of time, god knows how much he was suffering. I wish us both great days with our beloved pets💗.

Penny, our rat, was the sweetest little thing. I've known a lot of rats in my life, I've kept them since I was a little kid, and Penny was probably the sweetest and most affectionate rat I've ever known. But she developed this upper respiratory infection that she just couldn't shake, even after $1000+ worth of medical care. My roommate, our vet, and I did everything we could for her, but sometimes it just isn't enough, unfortunately. Sadly rats are very prone to respiratory issues and many of them succumb to them, even with the best of care.

Unfortunately, dealing with loss is part of having and loving animals. It's the hardest part, but I've always felt that the love and joy they bring us is worth enduring the pain of losing them. All we can do is love them and care for them to the best of our ability, with the understanding that sooner or later we'll have to say goodbye.

If and when you're ready to open your heart and home to a new chin, this is a great resource! It's been a godsend to me since I unexpectedly rescued my chin Margaret a couple months ago. Chins aren't exactly low-maintenance pets, but I think they're worth it!

Back