Help!!!! Unexpected Chinchilla Pregnancy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlockwood18

Hi there! I am in some real need of advice. I have 2 chinchillas. I was told they were both males. This morning one of my presumed male chinchillas gave birth to a baby. The baby does not have its eyes open and it weighed a little over 22grams. It is the only baby and mom seems to be nurturing it. I believe the baby is nursing since it’s under the mom. I have read I need to get the eyes open which I am currently trying to do. Is there any more advice as I am assuming the baby is premature. Thank you

Separate the male from the female to avoid any mating, they can get pregnant second time easily after giving birth. Watch out for any signs of aggresions towards the baby. Its very uncommon for chinchillas to give birth to only one young, i would expect her to have another one soon, if not check in with your vet the baby might be stuck. Ask your vet if you have any issues, he/she is going to be more reliable

We separated mom and dad as soon as I saw the baby. So unfortunately she most likely is pregnant again as I had no idea she was even a she. Also, she gave birth to the baby yesterday morning and since has not given birth to another. Her belly does not seem hard. She seems to be doing well and baby has survived the night! We live in a really small state so exotic animal resources are a minimum but I will definitely reach out to a vet.

We separated mom and dad as soon as I saw the baby. So unfortunately she most likely is pregnant again as I had no idea she was even a she. Also, she gave birth to the baby yesterday morning and since has not given birth to another. Her belly does not seem hard. She seems to be doing well and baby has survived the night! We live in a really small state so exotic animal resources are a minimum but I will definitely reach out to a vet.
Im glad the baby survived the night and that momma is doing well. Please continue to keep us updated.

How's the young chinchilla? I hope everything is normal.

Hi all. Baby unfortunately passed away. I don’t think mom was aware of his passing as he was still under her. Thank you for all your support.

Hi all. Baby unfortunately passed away. I don’t think mom was aware of his passing as he was still under her. Thank you for all your support.
Oh I’m sorry, that’s unfortunate. 22g is very small, especially for a single kit, so it’s entirely possible that the kit was born too early. I’ve personally only ever had a kit born that small when it was part of triplets. Females milk usually comes in anywhere from 12-24hrs after birth, so for tiny kits the initial weight loss between birth & 1st feed can be too much for them without intervention.
Best thing to do is continue to keep an eye on mum, chins can come into heat up to 24hrs before birth, so you’ll need to count anything from 111-120 days from the date of the little ones birth to be sure she isn’t pregnant again.

It's common for kits under 30g to not survive, as mentioned the mother's milk doesn't come in right away, the kit suckling stimulates milk production. They need to be at least 30g to be able to survive without food for a day until the milk comes in. Normal birth weight for kit is around 30-60g, with singles sometimes being even bigger.

Sorry about the baby's passing. How is the mom doing so far? I hope she's just okay.

Back