Help. Something odd with his penis.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirthful

I've noticed my little guy has been grooming/biting around the genital area a lot more so after giving it a check I didn't see any hair rings but I noticed it was sticking out more and also looks swollen. Also the coloration seems very dark (I just recently returned from university so while I was gone I wasn't the main caretaker so I'm concerned something happened while I was away). Overall his actions and activities seem normal and playful. He's eating/drinking fine and pooping just as much. Also there doesn't seem to be any issues when he urinates. I plan on taking him to the vet for a check up but I was hoping to get some insight and ideas.

Attachments

• 20210510_051448.jpg
    20210510_051448.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210510_051008.jpg
    20210510_051008.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 13
It's hard to tell from the pics but is that blackish thing the tip of his cone or the tip of the penis? If it's the penis I would get him to vet as soon as you can, it looks like the tip has died, if so it likely needs to be amputated, unless it's normally that color. Chins hide pain well and try to act normal until they physically can't, also if it has died it might not have feeling anymore, so doesn't hurt. So when you did a hair ring check most of the penis went back in ok? Also how far down does the black coloration go, just at the tip or does it go down farther?

We just came back from the vet and he's a fully healthy chinchilla. It's the cone's pigmentation and it seems to have just gotten darker.

Back