Help please

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmosmom

I’ve only had Gizmo for 5 days. He is 6 mos. old and I already messed up as his new mommy.
yesterday I’d let him out for play time and he was running around playing and I stepped out of the room to go to the restroom and came back and he was gone! I couldn’t find him anywhere. I was scared so I called my daughter to come help me find him. We did find him and we were trying to catch him and he just was running right between my feet and I couldn’t catch him. Then she trapped him in a hideout and I ended up catching him by his tail (I feel terrible for this) and put him back in his cage. Since then he’s been in his hiding spot and not came out of it. He did eat over night but other than that he won’t come out of his hiding spot.
Please advise what should I do to get him to trust me and forgive me?!? I feel so bad that I’ve traumatized him like that.

Begin the bonding process from the beginning. Try leaving him in his cage for the immediate future and begin by spending time talking quietly to him. When he's comfortable with this, try placing your hand in his cage and let him sniff and explore you, but go at his pace. Each chin is different, and there is not set time in which the bonding will take place.

Begin the bonding process from the beginning. Try leaving him in his cage for the immediate future and begin by spending time talking quietly to him. When he's comfortable with this, try placing your hand in his cage and let him sniff and explore you, but go at his pace. Each chin is different, and there is not set time in which the bonding will take place.
Ditto to this. Chins that have been spooked badly need time to feel safe again. He'll come around. You just need a little patience.

Back