hello

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Just looking for a forum to share my hedgies without everyone getting up on their soapbox about breeding like a certain other forum I joined. We have Loki a 3 month snowflake pinto male and yesterday got Cinni a cinnamon female. 1-2months to do tons more research and harass the breeders we got them from before attempting hoglets.

This is most of Loki, he had a short term owner (less than 3weeks) who didn't do their hedgehog research and was scared to touch him so he's a bit huffy from neglect and the stress of this being his 3rd home in less than a month. Hopefully we get to see his head in the near future.
DSCN1490_zpsf23ceada.jpg

Reputable breeders and owners will give the same response regardless of who they are and which forums they participate on.

You betcha. If you want good information on how to care for your hedgies and learn how to be a responsible breeder, then you have come to the right place. If you come with a chip on your shoulder and are not interesting in any viewpoint other than your own, then you probably won't be happy on this forum either.

I'll welcome you to CnH though and hope you stick around. :)

Howdy and welcome to CnH. Glad you're here to do a lot of research before attempting any breeding.

Looks like Loki has some settling in to do, eh? The quilliness and those small soft poops in the pic definitely match your description of him feeling huffy and stressed. Hopefully, with good care, he'll be able to come around. Little guy probably needs some extra TLC. It'll be nice to see what his personality is like as he grows and adapts to his new home. Keep us posted on his progress!

Tell us a bit more about Cinni. Is she also a rescue or did you get her from a breeder or...? And, of course, we love pics ;)

They are both from breeders who have been breeding since the 80s with pedigrees. I saw Cinnies parents and siblings. It's just because my hedgehogs are not in the hedgehog registry they are making and they wanted me to know the cause of death 6 generations back of all hedgehogs. Ignoring that these breeders have been breeding a long time with no illnesses or wobbly hedgehog in the breeders they've kept for many generations. Cinni's breeder has never even seen it.

We intended to get another snowflake to increase our odds of snowflakes but the older one was rather huffy and the younger one latched on to my hand twice because I smelled like public restroom soap so I decided she was too high strung for breeding. There was a nice reverse pinto but I didn't like that much white. Cinni balled up when I picked her up but immediately stuck her head back out and then laid in my husband's arms while I talked about hedgehog breeding for half an hour with the breeder. So we decided she had the best personality especially for breeding.

We got to see Loki's face. He tried to hide behind his food dish but I scooped him up and for once he didn't ball up and instead tried to look for a way down.
DSCN1495_zps748c8a76.jpg

DSCN1498_zps4edcedfe.jpg

DSCN1499_zps0b03efde.jpg

He considered moving around his cage after I set him down instead of turning in to a prickle ball for being looked at.

Great news that Loki is starting to settle in and you’re able to see his face. How’s everything else going for him – like have those small soft poops from that first pic changed yet? Has he been wheeling? And how about Cinni’s transition?

Regarding that public restroom soap… even the sweetest hedgie can get huffy and chompy over that stuff. Same with other chemicals. My big girl (a very sweet non-biting hedgie) would chomp without warning if I came home smelling like a swimming pool – even after washing my hands. I had to use the anti-chlorine shampoo to get rid of the scent. That stuff is tough on hedgies!

Yeah, I know the decision whether to participate or not participate in the Registry as a member / breeding Registry-based pedigreed hedgies vs non-Registry hedgies is a big sticking point in breeding circles. Tensions run high and people seem to fall solidly in one camp or another… there’s very little middle ground; for example, compare discussions on Hedgehog Central with those on Hedgehog World and you’ll find some rather different views between those two. My thought is: you probably just recently stumbled into this debate, so do your best to fully understand the perspectives of both sides of the debate and make educated decisions afterward about what you want to do.

p.s. Loki is quite the cutie!!

It wasn't just the biting but that little snowflake bounced around everywhere. She was a little pinball. I kept scruffing her back in to the pen the breeder had set each one in for us to play with because she'd bounce halfway out. She just seemed too hyperactive and high management. Better for a devoted pet owner than for producing hoglets. Although I might have gotten her if I could have tested her reaction to my husband to see if she bit him too but he does not have the experience to just sit there carefully extracting teeth when something chomps down. I had skin hanging off and blood from peeling her off me. I have to think about his ability to enjoy the hedgehogs too. Loki is basically his christmas gift because he's wanted hedgehogs forever.

Loki loves his wheel so much he's stopped running around the room when out. Now he leisurely explores and burrows in blankets because he's taken the edge off running. It's a little hard to see in the shavings (I would like to do fleece in the future) but very little poop has stuck to his wheel so it must be coming out more solid and falling off or he'd be smashing it in to a mess.

Cinni has gotten a little huffy being in a strange place and with other animals but she unrolled and laid on my lap in her fleece blanket last night for an hour. She stuck her little nose out to see what was going on every now and then. I don't think she'll ever be the type eager for attention and play but a nice laid back hedgie that just wants to lounge somewhere whether on people or burrowed down under her blanket.

Hahaha. Too funny about the little snowflake. Hopefully the right person willl come along for her.

Yep, the hidden poop is definitely one of the drawbacks with shavings. You can do fleece easily enough - a single layer piece cut to size is the easiest way to go.

Sounds like you have a runner and a snuggler. What a treat.

Back