Hello! New to the chinchilla community

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleDuck

I have never really considered keeping a pet chinchilla until recently when I spotted one in a Petsmart. I couldn't stop thinking about that cute little face so I started to do some research out of curiosity. Of course, being an animal love I wanted one from that moment on but I usually do research for at least a year (or multiple) before deciding if its right for me.
After asking some friends who have kept them in the past I realized it wouldn't be too unreasonable to have one.

I actually discovered this forum from another animal forum, BackYard Chickens. I'm an active member there and that's usually the first place I look for information on animals. I remembered a thread asking about chinchillas there and another member recommend this site, so here I am!

The more I learn about chinchillas the more I love them. I'm still not certain if I should get one for myself yet, but I'm hopeful that y'all will be able to answer my questions and concerns.

Thanks for reading, and happy holidays!

Welcome. It's not as active as it use to be here years ago, but there is still a wealth of info in the threads on here. Ask away on questions though.

Welcome! It's true that this place isn't super active, but there are a few very knowledgeable, helpful folks who still frequent the place to answer any questions you may have. I've found this site extremely helpful!

Is the frog in your avatar pic yours? It's super cute!

Welcome. It's not as active as it use to be here years ago, but there is still a wealth of info in the threads on here. Ask away on questions though.
Thank you! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to come.

Welcome! It's true that this place isn't super active, but there are a few very knowledgeable, helpful folks who still frequent the place to answer any questions you may have. I've found this site extremely helpful!

Is the frog in your avatar pic yours? It's super cute!
Thanks! There's a ton of toads around here so I often do photoshoots with them. I don't own any, but here's one with a hat :)
Screenshot_20211218-210612_Gallery.jpg

Thanks! There's a ton of toads around here so I often do photoshoots with them. I don't own any, but here's one with a hat :)
View attachment 21635
Omg look at his little hat, that is too cuuuuuute!!!

In addition to the mammals (dog, cats, chinchilla, rats), I also keep and love reptiles. I've always loved amphibians as well, though I've never really kept them as pets. When I was a kid, I used to catch tadpoles from a creek near our house and watch them go through metamorphosis, but I always released them back into the creek once they were fully frogs and lost their tails (they became harder to feed at that point). I've recently been doing some research on keeping frogs, toads, newts, and salamanders as pets. I'd love to have one at some point.....or several, haha.

I have never really considered keeping a pet chinchilla until recently when I spotted one in a Petsmart. I couldn't stop thinking about that cute little face so I started to do some research out of curiosity. Of course, being an animal love I wanted one from that moment on but I usually do research for at least a year (or multiple) before deciding if its right for me.
After asking some friends who have kept them in the past I realized it wouldn't be too unreasonable to have one.

I actually discovered this forum from another animal forum, BackYard Chickens. I'm an active member there and that's usually the first place I look for information on animals. I remembered a thread asking about chinchillas there and another member recommend this site, so here I am!

The more I learn about chinchillas the more I love them. I'm still not certain if I should get one for myself yet, but I'm hopeful that y'all will be able to answer my questions and concerns.

Thanks for reading, and happy holidays!
Just by taking the time and doing your research you're already doing fantastic! This forum has been a lifesaver through my years of owning chinchillas, so I think you'll find it extremely helpful.

Back