HELLO! Mr. and Ms.chinchilla in HAWAII

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

Hi
I may move to big island in hawaii and have some questions.
Anyway it's soooooo hard to find a place to live with pet!!!!:hair:
How did you find a apt???

Now I have like a ferret nation cage.
Can I buy this kind of cage in Hawaii?
Because many online stores don't ship to Hawaii,right?
So I should ship it or buy it there.

Is there any store sells a pine wood?
I need to build cage accessories.
Or should I ship what I use now?
People say everything is too expensive so....

Oh boy moving with chins is tough!
But I can't live without them.:grouphug:

Hawaii has/had some really strict quarantine about animals coming in, something like 30-60days at some gov facility, better check on that.

Yes I did.
Dog and cat take 120 days but Chinchilla is not. Yay!
If I need to separate with them for that long I wouldn't move.
Because I love them!:kiss:

ferret nation shipping to Hawaii

Hi, ferret.com ships to Hawaii.

http://www.ferret.com/cages/cages/887/

Ferret.com >
Shipping & Delivery

Can I ship my order to Alaska or Hawaii?
Yes. A $19.99 fee will apply in addition to the shipping charges. Please note that shipping times to Alaska and Hawaii will take longer than what's noted in the chart above. Shipping charges to Alaska and Hawaii are a result of increased cost from the shipping service provider.

I don't think I could ever move if I had to be separated from my chins either!
I hope it all works out for you.

i was born and raised in hawaii, i was there my whole life up until 10 months ago i relocated to oregon. chinchillas are welcome in hawaii and fortunately they do not need to under-go quarantine unlike dogs and cats. i'm not sure about the big island but on kauai there are no big-time pet stores (petsmart, petco, etc.) so finding another cage there would be quite a challenge. although i'm not sure if the big island has a mainstream pet store. another thing you will want to consider is that shipping to hawaii is RIDICULOUS. the reason why i bring this up is because chinchilla's are not common in hawaii therefore i doubt it will be easy to get your hands on chinchilla supplies such as dust and food...leading to the fact that you will have to buy your hard goods and consumables from online vendors. so please keep in mind that the cost of shipping is outrageous. the last topic i want to remind you about is the weather condition. it may not peak into the 90's in hawaii but it does get into the high 80's and on top of the heat itself please keep in mind that it is HUMID. hot, sticky, muggy, humidity which means your little ball of fuzz will need more frequent baths along with AC. air conditioning is a must if you have a chinchilla in Hawaii.

i apologize if this post was very scatter-brained but seeing as how i lived in hawaii for 20 years i thought you could use some information coming from someone who's lived there.

Thank you! I'll check ferret.com.

Thank you Twilight.

Oh no....That humid?? and sticky??:wacko:
I hate it...
I think I'll put the cage,dust bath,food,hay in a luggage....
so that I can use them right away,and may be 3 or 4 cloths for myself...
I have to watch weight though..
I needed your information! That's the true life in Hawaii.

Oh boy I hope I can make it... like this guy.
:hammock:

I live on Oahu, it's easy to get pinewood etc, but your best bet is ordering a cage online. It'll run about $200 total if you order via 1800petsupplies. Not bad at all. Things are more expensive of course, but I recommend looking for a feed store. I get my chins food, bedding, and extremely fresh hay for very cheap. $17 for food every 3-4 months (I have 4 chins), $1/lb max for hay. We have in window AC units that keep the house cool enough, but since we are on a military base we don't pay electric which I hear is killer.

I shipped my girl here in October of last year. She came all the way from FL with no problems at all, she was just a little ticked off when she arrived. That may have been because she went a day ahead of me so my husband is who greeted her and she is attached to me. I really recommend the ryerson shipping carrier for the transit since it is so long, that way they won't get hit around.

Back