Heartbroken, decisions to be made...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilliPepper

My sweet Pepper stopped eating his pellets 2 nights ago. He is taking CC, and oats and a shredded wheat. Our vet isn't in until Tuesday, so I can keep up the feeding until then, but then what?
Our car needs work, the motorcycle that is hubby's transportation just died and needs a part, the van we were going to buy lost it's alternator and our rent is going up $90 a month. How do I justify spending $300 on him when everything else is falling apart. We could put it on credit cards, along with the car parts, but is that responsible?
How do I say I can't afford to even find out what's wrong? I am just sick about it. And if I am not careful with the stress, I will be really sick. Last time I got this stressed, I had an MS relapse. So there's that too.

Please be careful about your stress. It wouldn't be good for you to get sick on top of all your stress. I don't have any words to help only words of comfort. I hope the best for you and your fuzzy baby and your hubby. It'll all work out in the end. I hope your chin nugget is just being temperamental and making a fuss, so you don't have to go to the vet. Give your fur ball a kiss from me <3

I should add important info.
He is 10, came from Petsmart, he eats oxbow essentials.
He usually eats 2-3 tbsp pellets/ day, little hay.
I am thinking some sort of dental trauma, either abscess, broken tooth or malo.
Until 2 nights ago, he was cleaning his bowl.
He is running on his wheel, jumping in his dust bath, and eating his syringe food.

The only way to know is do to xrays. You took him on as a pet, so you owe it to him to do what you can to care for him. $300 really isn't much when you think about it. You could get another 10 years out of that 'investment'

Chilipepper---it sounds like you have a ton going on, which makes these situations very difficult. Your best is good enough, even if it's not what others would do. Just do your best.

It's very hard to make a decision that will cause pain either way you go. I agree wholeheartedly with CalicoPrairie, just do your best and it will be good enough. Hoping things work out for you.

Update: Pepper ate 2 tablespoons of pellets last night and the night before. I still don't know why he stopped eating for a couple days, but he is back to his old self. Guess he heard about the trip to the vet. Whatever the reason, I am glad he is better. We were going to go ahead and do what ever we needed, but it helps not having that stress on my mind. I did the malo road with Chilli, I have tried to be prepared for it with Pepper, but we had bad luck in 6 instead of 3 this month. Besides the money stress, I love this guy. 10 is a long time to have a little fuzzball!

That's awesome news that he is back to normal :))
It's terrible to have so much stress, this time of year especially!
Good luck with everything <3

Glad that he is do better, 10 is not that old, and you could get another 10 years. The vet may just have to file a sharp point off a tooth or something that would not be that expensive. Glad that he is back to normal and he got the chance to live longer.

He seems to be eating fine again, he has even been digging into his hay. I wonder if he just took an odd tumble in his cage and hurt his jaw or something and needed a few days to rest it. He has been back to begging for shreddies and pets. Thanks for checking in, I am having an MS flare so I haven't been online much.

Back