Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17911

Hello, it's been a while ...sorry about that. I have a question about hay! I know chins need hay but can they eat hay from a farm or hardware store or does it need to be Oxbow or Small Pet Select hay?

It just needs to be primarily timothy hay, brand doesn't matter as long as it's feed hay (not decoration hay like from a craft store) and your chin eats it. Chins can be picky on what brand they like.

Hello, it's been a while ...sorry about that. I have a question about hay! I know chins need hay but can they eat hay from a farm or hardware store or does it need to be Oxbow or Small Pet Select hay?
Just to add to what Amethyst said, I personally prefer to buy hay in person so I can check the quality of it. Like she said, brand doesn't matter but you also don't want a bag of brown timothy hay. (This happened to me once.) I also personally don't like to get hay from a farm because it isn't cut for small animals so it's hard to deal with and I'm always kinda paranoid about finding bugs or something in it, lol. I like to go to tractor supply and get hay from there. It's about $9 for 3 lbs of hay which lasts me around 4-6 months and we are there a lot for dog food, chicken pellets, etc. so its convenient.

Last edited:
Back