Hay Rack

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, the hay holder my boys currently have is alright, but I'm a tad skeptical about what type of wood it really is. (Got it off Amazon, supplier doesn't really say exactly what type of wood it is.) The major pro about it is that it has a lid, which I like a lot because it stops my chins from wanting to hop inside or poop inside of the rack and onto the hay. But, I still want a new hay rack. I have one in mind, it's good quality and is made from KD pine. But the only flaw is that it doesn't have a lid. The top is wide open. Will this be a health threat if the chins decide to hop inside, poop, or even urinate on the hay inside of the rack? I have no clue how they will behave around an open hay rack.

I don't think I've really seen many that have lids, most are open. These are the ones I have, they are more chewed now though. ;)
1580074324092.png

I have not had any problem with them being able to end up in them. Peeing on the hay would be a health issue, but unless your chin is sick their poop ending up in the hay won't hurt them. You could probably just screw a small hinge and board to the top to make a lid if you wanted.

Another option is getting a hay rack that goes outside the cage, like https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufacturing-Rack-Assorted-Colors/dp/B000HGDC70/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Back