Hay Brands?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use and love the Oxbow Western Timothy hay. The quality is great and I've never had any problems with it. The chins even seem to eat it much better than any other hays I've tried.

Where in Orange County do you live? There are some feed stores where you can buy a large bag (garbage bag size) of Timothy hay for $4. I, also, don't need an entire bale of hay, so I've taken to buying these large sized bags of hay one at a time. It works out great and it's cost-efficient.

There's a feed store in Midway City of Beach and Bolsa if you're in the area.

I live in Irvine, so that wouldn't be too far. Do you have the name of the feed store? i might go check it out.

I live in Irvine, so that wouldn't be too far. Do you have the name of the feed store? i might go check it out.
Here is a list of feed stores in your area that sell Oxbow products. I would suggest calling a few of the feed stores and ask if they carry Timothy hay by the bale, and if they do, they most likely carry it by the garbage bag for super cheap, as well. And if all else fails, you can buy yourself a bag of brand name Oxbow hay. :)

I've been to the Costa Mesa feed barn on Newport Blvd. before to pick up Blue Kote, though I'm unsure if they sell Timothy hay by the bale. If you're ever in the Westminster area, you can always stop by Midway City Feed Store. I just bought a bag of hay for $4 the other week.

I get most of my hay from Kleenmama's Hay Loft. It's more expensive than what I can buy locally, but the chins eat more of it. I was picking up about 70% of the local hay off the floor or in the bottom of cages and throwing it away. :hair:

I use Oxbow too. When I had 40+ chins I would buy it by the bale from a farmer. I have been using oxbow for quite some time now and all my chins seem to like it. I was in a Petsmart this past weekend and I did see Oxbow there now.

Oh the oxbow orchard grass is a HUGE hit here now too. We got some today and all the chins loved it. It was $3 for a small bag but I use a lot more of the western timothy so I figure this could be more of a treat for them (the orchard grass).

Templeton came with half a bag of Kaytee hay, but he didn't really seem to be eating too much of it. So I tried Oxbow and now he can't get enough hay! It just seems really fresh and he totally likes that :)

I have tried 4 different brands for timonthy hay. Sesame seems to like these two brands the most: American Pet Diner (http://www.americanpetdiner.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=americanpetdiner&Product_Code=Hay_2nd&Category_Code=Chinchillas & Kleenmama's Hay (http://www.kmshayloft.com/)

I just buy the 5lbs of hay and it lasts for a pretty long time for 1 chin. Just make sure you store the hay correctly (if you keep it in the bag, poke lots of holes in it, keep it in the original box and leave the box flaps open. Remember, air flow is the key to preventing mold in hay!). Sesame wastes less, eats more hay, the hay smells & looks good, and it was cheaper for me! You could also get some of the botanical/bluegrass/oat hay for like a small snack time too. Sesame seems to like both equally. The only problem I had with Kleenmama's hay was that the length that they cut the hay is a bit longer than APD. It just made it a bit tough to stick it in Sesame's Harry Hay Holder. I think there's less "crumbs on the bottom" of the Kleenmama box compared to APD though. I'm not 100% sure.

The other two brands of hay (Kaytee & Oxbow) were purchased from the local Petsmart or Petco. My chin didn't like them very much and the quality isn't very good imo.

Back