Hay Brands?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

I've been purchasing Kaytee Hay from my local petstore and was wondering what brands of hay you guys all use. I'd be happy to find a hay dealer (I live in Orange County), but can't really purchase it in large quantities since I live in an apartment with roommates who probably don't want bales of hay lying around. Suggestions?

I use Oxbow. I've used it since I started owning chins and I've been really happy with it. You can buy Oxbow at Petco and I think PetSmart now carries it as well. There are also all kinds of on-line places you can purchase it, but if you have one of the stores above handy, why pay shipping?

Kaytee, btw, is not one of the best brands of hay to buy. The main reasons are it's very hit and miss - one time good, the next time stemmy, dry, and dusty. The other reason is it sits on a shelf in a plastic bag for God only knows how long. You could be using hay that is 3 or more years old.

Oxbow is what I use for my chins and bunny. I could never get me head around the colour of Kaytee...that green seems TOO green! ha

I used to be a faithful American Pet Diner customer but after my last batch of hay from them I have been ordering Oxbow and my girls and I have been happy with it so far :).

I currently buy Oxbow from Petsmart. I used to buy bales of hay for a little while.

I use Oxbow that I purchase from a privatley owned pet store in my area. On the Oxbow website it had a search function to see who near you sells it.

I was using hay from the feed store but then I moved so now I have to buy it elsewhere since around here I can't find any timothy right now. So now I'm using Oxbow.

I'm an oxbow girl, but it took a while to find anything in my area other than kaytee...

I wish that kaytee didn't suck so badly, because it is EVERYWHERE arund here-make it hard for a good chinnie owner :-(

I use Oxbow Timothy Hay. I heard that was the best. I don't know if you have a Benson's near you but the one near me sells Oxbow products, so you might want to check that out if you have one near you.

If you can't find it, I can buy you a bag and just charge you what it costs and shipping. So pm if you would like to do that. But again, you might be so far away the shipping might be high. I'm in Upstate NY, near Albany.

Jean

i use Oxbow brand...both the timothy hay and the orchard grass....my little girl actually likes the orchard grass more...but i try to get her to eat both since both are different and she uses different teeth to chew each type of hay which helps with teeth trimming...i am getting botanical and organic hay tomorrow so me and my chinny are very excited about that lol...

thanks everyone! Oxbow it is!

I've seen it at Petsmart (where I've been getting my Kaytee Hay), but am still concerned it's freshness. At least quality wise it's better than Kaytee.

Kleenmamas 2nd cut timothy. They LOVE it. Looking for a local source now though due to shipping costs. Have used Oxbow, smells wonderful (for hay anyway).

Well we use Oxbow but did use Sun seed timothy hay. We use oxbow timothy and the chins love it so much more.

Where in Orange County do you live? There are some feed stores where you can buy a large bag (garbage bag size) of Timothy hay for $4. I, also, don't need an entire bale of hay, so I've taken to buying these large sized bags of hay one at a time. It works out great and it's cost-efficient.

There's a feed store in Midway City of Beach and Bolsa if you're in the area.

Back