Having Troubles as a Newly Chin Owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyrika

Hi there!
I recently decided to adopt a few months old Chin, named him Chobi!
He has been here slightly more than a week.
I let him free roam the bathroom at times.
The problem is everytime I try to return him to the cage, I wound up scaring him as I need to pick him up. :(
This results in him being scared and agitated around me now and I begin to feel discouraged as a Chin owner. :(
Is there any tip in how to gain Chin's trust?

Ideally it would be nice if one day he'd want some pets and scratches from me, but idk if it's possible if I keep scaring him every time I had to pick him up...

First it's best not to allow a chin that is only a few months old to have free roam time, or at most only about 5-10 minutes a couple times a week. Kits can over do it quickly and end up over heating even in a cool room and/or over exert themselves resulting in injury or health issues like seizures from a drop in blood sugar. You also want them to be using their energy to grow not using in all up running around. Once they are over 6 months they are better able to control their temp as well as blood sugar making out of cage time safer.

Since he is still a young kit I would slow way down and focus on just building a bond with him before you let him out. With chins they don't normally freely give their trust, it has to be earned, and every time you are scaring him you are proving you are not to be trusted. It takes most chins at least a week to settle in to a new home, but up to a month is not uncommon. Ideally the first week it's best to just let him get use to the new home, the new smells, sounds, people (and other animals if you have any around), and everything. You can start building a bond by just sitting by the cage, you can talk to him, read aloud, sing or play music. Also you can give him something every time you enter the room or go to the cage, like a bit of hay, some pellets, a toy, or a chew stick, so he starts associating you coming in the room and up to the cage with good things. If he isn't one to try to escape you can also sit with the door open and let him come up to you and climb on your hands and arms.

First it's best not to allow a chin that is only a few months old to have free roam time, or at most only about 5-10 minutes a couple times a week. Kits can over do it quickly and end up over heating even in a cool room and/or over exert themselves resulting in injury or health issues like seizures from a drop in blood sugar. You also want them to be using their energy to grow not using in all up running around. Once they are over 6 months they are better able to control their temp as well as blood sugar making out of cage time safer.

Since he is still a young kit I would slow way down and focus on just building a bond with him before you let him out. With chins they don't normally freely give their trust, it has to be earned, and every time you are scaring him you are proving you are not to be trusted. It takes most chins at least a week to settle in to a new home, but up to a month is not uncommon. Ideally the first week it's best to just let him get use to the new home, the new smells, sounds, people (and other animals if you have any around), and everything. You can start building a bond by just sitting by the cage, you can talk to him, read aloud, sing or play music. Also you can give him something every time you enter the room or go to the cage, like a bit of hay, some pellets, a toy, or a chew stick, so he starts associating you coming in the room and up to the cage with good things. If he isn't one to try to escape you can also sit with the door open and let him come up to you and climb on your hands and arms.
Thanks for the tips!
I guess I caved in to him wanting to explore more, while I should have let him adjust first especially as a kit. Will be doing that from now on!

I just hope I haven't completely lost his trust 100%. :( He does still greet me if I open the cage, just no pets.

I noticed he seems to sleep and his mouth moves like he's grinding his teeth. I know bunnies do that when they're content, but I heard it's different for Chins?

Thanks for the tips!
I guess I caved in to him wanting to explore more, while I should have let him adjust first especially as a kit. Will be doing that from now on!

I just hope I haven't completely lost his trust 100%. :( He does still greet me if I open the cage, just no pets.

I noticed he seems to sleep and his mouth moves like he's grinding his teeth. I know bunnies do that when they're content, but I heard it's different for Chins?
It generally takes about long to get over something as the thing happened. So if it's only been a week of scaring him by trying to catch him, then give it about a week for him to forget about it. If he isn't hiding or running away from you then you haven't completely lost his trust. Not all chins like to be pet though, and it really is like building a friendship, it normally takes more then just a week to fully trust someone new. Being pet they have to trust you aren't going to grab them or eat them, instinctively in their mind being touched by something bigger then them could mean a predator has them.

It's not uncommon for them to chew in their sleep sometimes, I think they could just be dreaming about eating :) . It's not anything to worry about unless he is doing it a lot while awake and/or pawing at his mouth, in which case it could be because of pain or stress.

It generally takes about long to get over something as the thing happened. So if it's only been a week of scaring him by trying to catch him, then give it about a week for him to forget about it. If he isn't hiding or running away from you then you haven't completely lost his trust. Not all chins like to be pet though, and it really is like building a friendship, it normally takes more then just a week to fully trust someone new. Being pet they have to trust you aren't going to grab them or eat them, instinctively in their mind being touched by something bigger then them could mean a predator has them.

It's not uncommon for them to chew in their sleep sometimes, I think they could just be dreaming about eating :) . It's not anything to worry about unless he is doing it a lot while awake and/or pawing at his mouth, in which case it could be because of pain or stress.
Alright, that's good to hear. He does still greet me in the morning, though I think he's just wanting some treats haha. :p

I think the trickiest bit would be how should I go about in cleaning the cage without having to pick and place him someplace else. Luring to temporary cage doesn't always work so....

Back