Harnesses and Leashes

• Thread starter xBetterBeSocialx
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xBetterBeSocialx

Are harnesses and leashes safe for chins? I've read several different opinions both online and in books, but I'm just not sure what to believe and what not to believe. I've never put a harness on Templeton before...I don't even have one. I'm just curious what the general consensus is. Thanks!

No, they are deadly- chins are not meant to be on a leash. Plus, they hop, not walk so it is not a good idea anyway.

Not only (to my knowledge) are they not safe, but realistically- why would you need/use one??? It isn't like chins are outside animals or should be taken for "walks". The only thing I could see that would be chin appropriate would be using one indoors which just doesn't seem necessary...

I give this one a thumbs down

That's basically what I was thinking. One of the websites I looked at was like, "Sure! They love going outside!". But I didn't think that they would be too safe.

it isn't safe for a lot of reasons. Put them down for one second, they chew on a leaf or a dirty table and there you go-sick him. Not to mention chins are not too easy to introduce into change, so the loud noises and new area is a big stress factor. I mean think about it, when we change our daily routine-change play time-change even feeding time...they can be deeply affected. Imagine putting them into this bright loud and busy world with things they are completely unfamiliar with?!? Yea, no thanks...

Yeah, Stacie is right, chins have tiny ribs, they're about the thickness of a toothpick. If you tightened the harness too much or they struggled and pulled, it could easily break one of their ribs. It's the same reason you're told not to hold tightly around their chest, you could squeeze them too hard and hurt their ribs.

I think chins are perfectly content just running around in a chin safe room :)

When I got my first chin, about 8 years ago, I was new to chins and had been misinformed about some things, and didn't know that you weren't supposed to put chins in a harness (for all the reasons mentioned above) So anyway, I actually TRIED to do this with Mr.Chin, key word being TRIED. He wanted nothing to do with it, there was basicly no way that I was getting that harness on him (at least HE knew what he was doing) So another reason not to put a harness on a chin would be that they absolutely HATE them, and want nothing to do with you putting one on them, and why make the furballs upset for nothing? ;)

Hahaha...I was wondering how that would work out!
And please don't get the idea that I'm a bad chinny owner...this was really just an 'out of curiosity' question.

Oh, believe me...I had a harness/leash and everything bought before I got my Chinnie. We all started from somewhere, Erica :)

Remember, the only stupid question is one that went unasked - that is what I was told when I first came here (To CnQ, the previous forum!).

So, no leashes for chinnies! They wouldn't enjoy it and could really hurt themselves - just like those giant plastic run-about balls! Ick!

I remember a few years back someone putting thier chinchilla in a harness, he jumped off the owners shoulder and broke his back. I wish I could remeber what forum that was on..... but not safe at all

I remember a few years back someone putting thier chinchilla in a harness, he jumped off the owners shoulder and broke his back. I wish I could remeber what forum that was on..... but not safe at all
that's so sad. I remember on c-n-q there was a thread with a guy who took his chins on "walks" just letting them perch on his shoulder no leash or anything...poor chinnie died from eating a leaf (was what he/we were guessing happened when we heard about the leaf)...

I understand that some length of ignorance will come with having a new pet, but after he was told...I mean it's just a shame...

So good for you OP for asking first!!!:grad:

They are just another gimmick that manufacturers try to sell people, like most of the other unsafe crap sold in pet stores for chins.

Like Embyr, I did try 10 years ago when I got my first chin. Nothing bad happened. We would get him out in the shade. It was actually lots of fun, but I wouldn't do it again!

Back