Hard Nibbles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LostRealist

Okay so Isabelle is completely fine during the day. I can have my hand in her cage, my fingers through the bars, I could be holding her, playing with her, or letting her crawl all over me, and she never even comes close to nibbling, let alone biting...

Then, every night, around 8:00 pm (lights on or off) if I get near the cage, have my fingers through the bars, etc., she sticks her nose against me, then nibbles.

At first it felt like grooming, or what I assume to be grooming. Very soft bites. Now she can chomp down pretty hard (but never breaks skin).

I've made noises when she does it that indicate "ouch, I'm in pain!" or "hey! that's not nice!" but I don't really know if she understands (ie. am I failing miserably at the sounds) or is it something else that's bothering her...

So I guess my questions are

1) Does anyone know why this behaviour would pop up at night?

and

2) Does anyone know of any better methods to teach her that nibbling hard isn't good?

Of course, I'm fully aware she could nibble me forever, and I'm A-OK with that, but any tips would be welcome =D

Thanks!

Athena went through a period where her nibbles on my finger were HARD. I just kept saying NO. She doesn't do it anymore so I think it was a phase.

When she nibbles too hard, gently blow in her face. No need for a wind tunnel, but just gently blowing in her face will work. They hate that and it will teach her that when she does that the consequence will be unpleasent.

But sorry, I am unsure why the behavior starts at night.

Do you normally give her a treat that time of night or shortly after? You need to make the sharp Kacking noise and shove your hand up under her when she nibbles to hard. Don't pull away but go up under the belly. It gets you away from her mouth but shows her you are not backing down. If you can't get under her because you are putting your fingers through the bars then I would stop doing that and open the door until she learns not to nibble hard.

Do you normally give her a treat that time of night or shortly after? You need to make the sharp Kacking noise and shove your hand up under her when she nibbles to hard. Don't pull away but go up under the belly. It gets you away from her mouth but shows her you are not backing down. If you can't get under her because you are putting your fingers through the bars then I would stop doing that and open the door until she learns not to nibble hard.

Izzie doesn't usually get treats at night, but thanks for the idea! I'll try that, and the blowing technique... And if I'm lucky, like Tan said it's just a phase and she'll get over it.

Here's hoping =D

Thanks guys!

Our boy nips if we are holding him and he doesn't want to be.

We say ouch that usually stops him he gets confused I think.

I second the blowing in face/treats idea...

also, if you wear gloves and don't react at all it may help. I know with chins that bite gloves help, so maybe with nibbles it will help too????

But sticking fingers in the cage is kinda a tease just asking for a nibble...think your fingers are treats!!!

Back