hand vacuums

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutherford

i peer into your soul
hi there,
i'm wondering what brand/type of hand vacuums do you use to suck up all the poop inside your chinchilla's cage? i've been meaning to purchase one, especially now that i've received a gift card from amazon after selling my textbooks. right now, i sweep with a brush and a pan, and it's really tedious with all the shelves and bridge located inside his cage.

i need something powerful enough to vacuum up all of his little poops, but with a large enough opening to not shred the poops into smaller pieces and create more mess.

thanks!

I don't use a vacuum for that. I use a Shark cordless sweeper...it picks up everything - fur, dust, hay and poopies. I've been using that for years and it's been the best thing for that ever. I sweep with it twice a day and it has cut down my time with cleaning the floors by half of what I used to have to do with a vaccum.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-10-Cordless-All-Surface-Power-Sweeper/6537961

They have other models, but the simple one is the best...it's pretty cheap and it's smaller and can get under the cages. :)

and as the descriptions say, does it really convert to a handheld device easily? fortunately, his poopies actually doesn't make it to the floor since i've changed from a quality cage company cage to a critter nation. but sweeping the poopies inside the cage continues to be an ongoing battle.

I see...I was just thinking to sweep up off the floor! It's great for that... I don't know about hand vacs... I would destroy a hand vacuum in half a day with all the cleaning I have to do here!

Have you thought of maybe just bypassing the idea of a hand vac and getting a small shop vac? That may be the way to go. You'll have more power for sucking up hay that way.

I've been wondering about hand vaccuums too, for inside/outside the cage. I'll definitely be checking this thread often!

AZChins, with the vaccuum you linked, does yours ever get stuck with hay? When I had one it got stuck with hay pretty much everytime I used it. Unfortunally I don't have it anymore, but it was a great poopy cleaner. We have a diffrent model now, the pet model one, but I HATE it! Our 10 year old vaccuum does a better job LOL.

The shark doesn't get stuck with hay at all. It picks up really well. I use it after the nightly hay parties here and it does a great job. It's not a vacuum, it's just a sweeper.

With my shop vac I bought a larger diameter hose so that it doesn't get clogged as quickly as it did with the smaller hose. It is definitely worth investing it a larger diameter hose if the shop vac you purchase has the smaller 1 to 2" dia hose.

yeah, the hay clogs up my roommate's vacuum, so i stopped using the vacuum to clean up rutherford's mess.

i looked this up on amazon, and judging from the reviews, this looks plenty promising! i like that the head is narrow, but still wide enough to pick up poops and the mess from hay cubes. the reviews seem nice, too, as most of them uses it for pet-related mess.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...r_1_7?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1335420039&sr=1-7

I use a small shop vac to clean up the hay that my brother found in a dumpster with a broken hose....He just replaced the hose. It does NOT do well with wood chips and poop because of the ball on the inside of it. It ends up crushing up woodchips to tiny pieces then flinging the poop and all that half way across the room. So for that I usually vacuum all that up first with the $20 bissel electric vacuum available at walmart. Its just this tiny vacuum that doesnt use bags, has a permanent filter you can wash, and a detachable head. (for either tile or bigger messes) Its got SUPER good suction!

that's exactly what my previous roommate's vacuum did to all the poops and shavings! i thought i was imagining things... having the poops and shavings multiply right after i vacuumed!

this is the vacuum i use
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=202198493&R=202198493

works like a charm, haven't used it on chinnie poop yet but i suggest it'll work since it can pick up all the rat poop from my rats cages.
and my chinnie doesn't kick his bed shavings everywhere so i don't have to worry about that, but even if he did i'm sure it'd pick it up.
we haven't had any troubles with it.

When I tiled the girls cages in February, I got tired of dragging out the floor vacuum or the shop vac I use for the major clean day (I still use shaving on the very bottom) so I went looking for a hand held one and it was the best investment. I chose the purple shark cordless 18V model SV 780. I love it. It has cut my cleaning time and the girls are not afraid of it so I can clean with them still in the cage if it's not playtime. It has a reusable filter, just rinse and let dry.

I'm a kid of technology. I continue to use the most sophisticated and advanced technology i can get my hands on.... A broom and dust pan for the floor, and a hand broom and a spatula like scoop as a dust pan. ;)

I have a great shop vac for the floor in the chin room and a great Dyson DC31 (older model) handheld for quick jobs inside their cages. My dyson handheld has been working great for a little over 3 years now.

I use this little guy for my cage vacuuming needs. He's small, light weight, roughly the size and shape of a chinnie, can do an entire cage in one go, bagless, and has a reusable, washable air filter. Mine didn't come with the fun accessories, but he WAS 5 dollars at Goodwill. His cords probably 15 feet long, and the boys aren't bothered by him at all. They've both come up and stuck their nose up him while he was turned on on several occasions. Each time they popcorn away. I enjoy his cleaning ability quite a bit. And he's powerful enough to pull hand and wood chips out of fleece liners after they've been mushed in. Hard to go wrong with that.

Back