Hamster toy suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelBaby

Proud mommy of 2 fluffies
I have a 2 year old black bear hamster, he is still in excellent health, about 9 months ago his teeth were overgrown so I had him to the vet to get them trimmed and have been keeping an eye on them since...

anyway, my question is for the hammy owners or previous hammy owners, can some of you suggest good things for hammies to chew on? mine is SO picky, everything I try he will take one little bite and never mess with it again so I am wondering what things your hamsters enjoy. I am just worried since his teeth were over grown before because of him not chewing, I would like to find something that he is into.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.

Wooden houses, just those in general. Honestly? Apple sticks like you give the chins. Hammies like variety just as much. The little puzzle-houses, I don't really know what else.

my hammy doesn't chew on anything. I wonder if a pumice stone or lava bites are ok for hamsters...? I've tried applesticks and different chew toys and he rarely shows any interest. I really would like to try the lava bites if they are ok.

Well I am glad to know my hamster isn't the only stubborn one, I have tried apple sticks as well, a few different times, one on a hanging toy and another time I put a few in just laying on the bottom.

I never thought of lava bites since the chins chew those to shreds in minutes..anyone know if they are hammy safe?

I've tried pumice with our girl, Nutmeg, and she's completely ignored it... along with most other toys we've tried. However, the one thing she will destroy without fail is a paper towel tube. The one other thing that's kind of on-and-off with her is her "nut knot nibbler", although after several months, she's yet to get inside. If you do try those, avoid the ones with almonds inside - I've read those can be dangerous to hams.

My hammy likes to shred paper products, but that doesn't help out with his teeth. Still wondering if the lava bites are ok - it seems they would be but I'll have to look into it unless someone knows for sure.

My Black Bear, Lilith ..and my Robo, Consuela ...both like all the things I give the Chin'kids ......wood sticks (a variety), different hays, loofah toys, wood toys, willow and grapevine toys, pumice/lava, etc. . And both girls chew on their houses, too! They also get really hard plastic balls that WILL NOT fit in either of their pouches... lmbo.. .

I give the girls various fresh foods, as well... greens and cooked stuff. Oh.. and I give them smaller pieces of the same "doggie treats" that the bRat kids get ..like Natural Balance's Bison and Sweet Potato bones; MotherHubbard's Puppy bones in Chicken, Peanut Butter and Charcoal flavors; and Wellness Jerky, on occasion.

Otherwise, they get a Mazuri lab block as a staple ...and those are very good teeth conditioners ;)

Back