Half paralysis?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rknuts18

My chin is about 12 years old and he's been having "fits" where half his body seems paralyzed. I haven't seen it happen since he moved in with me (I just got an apartment that allows pets) but when he was staying with my mom it happened a few times. Is he sick? is it a neurological disease? Is it from stress? I just got back from Christmas and he was alone for a while. I thought it might have been the treats I gave him but he hasn't had those in a while I'm worried.

Based on your description, it almost sounds like some sort of seizure. I'd recommend you get your chin to a vet as soon as possible.

How long do these fits last, and what exactly happens during an episode? Can you determine if there's any common thread that triggers them? Like do they seem to happen at a certain time of day, or shortly after a particular activity or part of your routine with him? How often do they happen? Your answers to these questions could be helpful for your vet in determining exactly what's going on, but you should definitely get him looked at ASAP. Paralysis, even if it's intermittent and temporary, is a concerning symptom. It could have any number of causes, but since I'm neither a vet nor especially experienced with chins, I won't even attempt to guess. Your best course of action is to have him seen by a good vet who has experience with chinchillas.

Back