Hairballs?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScarlettSugoi

So my friend's chinchilla was sick and she took her to the vet this morning. [The chinchilla is all better now, got teeth filed down] But the vet told my friend it would be good for both her chins to take this stuff for hairballs since chinchilla groom themselves often and can get hairballs. Well since my chinchilla Pixel is a hair biter she passed the info to me saying it would be super good for him to take something for it.

Now my questions are. Does he need to take something for hairballs to prevent him from getting them?

If so what should I get for him, how often should I give it, etc.

<3

Its a myth that chins get hairballs, even chewers. Hair may be found during a necropsy in the digestive tract as part of a impaction, but on its own there have been no documented cases of just hair that I have ever come across, I have heard of people saying their "friends" chin had one, but not one owner with a necropsy stating hairball. A preventative like petramalt is not needed.

I do not give anything for hair balls but I have had 2 chinchillas pass hairballs reciently. I have personally seen them. When King (my male that prolapsed) was in treatment. Jojo and Faith both groomed him a lot a During that time they both passed HUGE poops I mean HUGE that were composed primarily of hair when examined. I would not give him anything unless there is a problem but Hair balls are not a myth, just not common. Anything that grooms fur can logically develop a hair ball in their intestines

Wow. Yeah my friend said the vet said they can pass them and that if they are constipated it is good to take a lax. And she said it would be good for Pixel but really...he poops alot. Good little non nasty poo. :[

A high quality pellet, lots of hay and playtime will help to keep the digestive system going. For YEARS I gave everyone a dab of petramalt. It actually started getting expensive and very time consuming. The chins liked it and I gave it as the treat for the day, but it was taking me over two hours to give the 200 or more chins some of it. It won't really hurt them, but it isn't at all necessary with healthy chins that are producing good droppings.

I definitely agree with everyone else. Without there being a real reason to do it you really don't need to be giving out hairball treatment. :)

Nifty. I mean if it was needed I would. But Im glad its not. He is a healthy chin. He loves his oxbow pellets and hay. :3

I should add I feel the only reason the two girls got hairballs were they were cleaning King who was in no condition to clean himself and with the critical care in his fur from fighting me during feedings there was a bit mess. Those are the Only hair balls I have ever had to deal with. I do not think regular treatment is necessary

Back