Hairball?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmarie

We have 3 chinchillas and one of them maybe is chewing fur (although we haven't seen this, and my son spends time with them every day) because for the second time in about a month he has found what he first thought might be a hairball (?) in the cage. This seems really big to me, considering the size of their poop. They all act normal and healthy. Could this be a miscarried early kit? 1594662531045.png

It kind of does look like a miscarried kit, does it have hardness to it like bones inside or is it all just fur? Do you have males and females together or did you get the females from someone that had them with a male? If you have male and females together I would separate them right away otherwise you will be breeding the female(s) to death, they can breed as soon as they give birth. I would also get the chin checked at the vet to make sure if it was a miscarriage that all the pieces came out, if not they can rot and kill the female.

As far as it being a hairball chins can't throw up, so they can't hack up hairballs like a cat. If they gets hairballs they either have to poop them out, and that is too big to poop out, or have them surgically removed.

It kind of does look like a miscarried kit, does it have hardness to it like bones inside or is it all just fur? Do you have males and females together or did you get the females from someone that had them with a male? If you have male and females together I would separate them right away otherwise you will be breeding the female(s) to death, they can breed as soon as they give birth. I would also get the chin checked at the vet to make sure if it was a miscarriage that all the pieces came out, if not they can rot and kill the female.

As far as it being a hairball chins can't throw up, so they can't hack up hairballs like a cat. If they gets hairballs they either have to poop them out, and that is too big to poop out, or have them surgically removed.
Wah that's scary! :eek::eek:

Back