Hair rings

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

I've been leaning toward getting two males since I've heard females can be the territorial ones. However, this one subject is holding me back a little. If I knew how do to this in advance, I'll be 100% sure I'll be getting two male chins. How do you check for hair rings? I'd hate to not be completely sure and do it incorrectly and miss it or injure the chin.

There are videos for it on YouTube. It's easier if you have one to hold, one to do the check. Honestly though, I rarely if ever check. If I see a male rooting around down there more than normal I will check, but it's not a routine maintenance thing.

I was worried about this too, its really not that hard and videos online are a lifesaver! Just make sure he can't wriggle away... That's when he will get injured

It's really more common in breeding males, or ones kept in bad conditions. It's pretty obvious when they need help, penis hanging out, turning colors, the chin is spending an abnormal amount of time down there, etc. They normally handle cleaning and checking themselves, and seem to enjoy it. Regular checks by owners seem to be the "new thing" now, but they are proving the do more harm then good. They make the chin lazy about grooming down there themselves (they do a better job then a human can) which makes them more likely to get hair rings and need your help.

Back