Hair Ring Check?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sugarmama

Could someone please post the link to the hair ring check please?

And admins, could this possibly be a sticky?

yeah i'd like to know this too. what age do you have to start, do you have to do it when their babies. I showed this link to my husband and he's NOT looking forward to helping me do this. Is there a way I can do it myself or is it a 2 person job?

I believe that you begin when they hit puberty, which I also believe is about 9 or 10 months (there is this ? in another thread on here somewhere)...

I have two boys and do a check about every two weeks. I do it by myself just fine, but some chins are easier than others. If you have issues with it and don't have anyone to help try the burrito style wrap to hold them still. My chins are fine as long as I don't have their back feet up in the air.

I keep an eye on my boys very closely. If there is dominance humping going on or one of them is messing with their penis more than usual, I do a check. I know some that only check once a month. Because I have the two boys together I do it twice a month...

Good luck and happy checking!!! :tease:

Do you have to check a chin for hair rings at all? mine seems to do his self cleaning/check often and we try to just keep an eye on it while he does it to make sure there isn't something around it. We have had to once it our chin just didn't seem to like it at all (didn't much enjoy the whole process either!!!). just wondering if it's ok to just keep an eye on it and not have to do the actual check....

I know that it's time to check when he starts humping like crazy (and he's 5 yrs old). My other males never had a problem and I never checked them. I'd catch them in their cages every once in awhile cleaning that area so I assume they did a good job themselves.

Yep, you gotta do the hair ring checks! :yuck:

You can't tell from the outward appearance whether or not there is a hair ring; they develop under the sheath. You have to push back the outer skin, all the way down to the base of the penis, to make sure there is no hair. It's no fun, but a necessary part of having a boy chin.:winkers:

Do you have to check a chin for hair rings at all? mine seems to do his self cleaning/check often and we try to just keep an eye on it while he does it to make sure there isn't something around it. We have had to once it our chin just didn't seem to like it at all (didn't much enjoy the whole process either!!!). just wondering if it's ok to just keep an eye on it and not have to do the actual check....

A chinchilla cleaning themself often is usually indicative that he has a hair ring that he can't get off and needs the intervention of you to get it off.

Thank you for posting this, my boys are 11 months old and 3 1/2 months old and I've had them for a little over a month so we will be doing our first hair ring check with the older boy tomorrow!

Thanks for the help, we did our first ring hair check, i was probably more nervous then our chin was! Took awhile to get the hang of it, and we did find a small piece of hair at the base. Wasn't wrapped around but definitely looked to be annoying. Thanks again!!!

A chinchilla cleaning themself often is usually indicative that he has a hair ring that he can't get off and needs the intervention of you to get it off.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

I have a hard time doing it myself. I can only get part of it out.

Jean

Back