grunting/snorting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappa-fied

hello. i am new here, and have a brand new hetero beige male named zappa. he seems to be making lots of snorting like sounds as he explores, and often when he is just sitting still. it is almost as if he is sniffling from a cold. it is somewhat quiet and sounds like a bendy straw or someone swallowing water. he seems to be physically healthy to the eye, but i wouldn't know.. thanks

Hello and welcome!

Grunting and snorting is not normal for a chinchilla and I would be concerned about an upper respiratory tract infection. They do make a barky, kind of wheezy sound when they are scared or upset, but that's not the same as grunting and snorting. Is there any discharge from his nose or eyes? Any wetness around the mouth?

Have a listen here: http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm

If the warning call isn't what you are hearing, then I would get him checked out by a vet.

well, it's nowhere near that loud. it does sound like an amplified swallowing of water.. his eyes are fine and his mouth is fine, but i think his nose may be a bit damp.

i just bought him from petsmart in nanuet, ny. i'm gonna bring him down and make sure they pay for the treatment because he is a beautiful, large hetero beige i do not want to return him.
:cry3:

edit: i have been on that site so many times, and most of the sounds appear to me as more of a 'yelping' or 'cooing' sound. my chin is a quiet grunt.. which i've heard is sometimes normal during exploration of new areas... the loud kack! is when kenny runs after him and tries to fight him. every time we think they are getting used to each other, kenny attacks him

DSC_5180_2.jpg

as you can see, he is very active! not as jumpy as kenny, but still energetic.
DSC_5209.jpg

Last edited:
the loud kack! is when kenny runs after him and tries to fight him. every time we think they are getting used to each other, kenny attacks him

This worries me- you just got him and he is already in contact with your other chin? The general rule is you should quarantine a new chin from any others for 30 days to prevent the spread of disease and to allow the new chin to acclimate to his new surroundings.

If your new chin is indeed sick, you could be subjecting the other to the sickness...so you may not only have 1 sick chin, but 2.

I hope for their sake it is just normal sounds that your new chin is making, but if it is a URI or something else, it can be contagious.

This worries me- you just got him and he is already in contact with your other chin? The general rule is you should quarantine a new chin from any others for 30 days to prevent the spread of disease and to allow the new chin to acclimate to his new surroundings.

If your new chin is indeed sick, you could be subjecting the other to the sickness...so you may not only have 1 sick chin, but 2.

I hope for their sake it is just normal sounds that your new chin is making, but if it is a URI or something else, it can be contagious.

Since i see they just joined the forum in december they prob didn't know about quarantine. I know i didn't know about it until being on this forum.

Since i see they just joined the forum in december they prob didn't know about quarantine. I know i didn't know about it until being on this forum.

i did read that after i got him, that he needs to trust ME before we can introduce the two, but as i am very anxious, i bought him before my dad really ok'd the animal.. it will be my pet, my bill, and i can provide for it.. i have a great paying job... so i am getting a cage tonight that i can put zappa into. i also contacted a vet and set up an appt, and called petsmart and in the process of talking to their district manager about them paying for the dr bill because i do not want to return this beautiful animal...
thanks for the help and advice.

Off topic here.... What kind of camera do you have???
it's a nikon D60 with a macro lens made by sears 1980, 80-200mm f4.

i did read that after i got him, that he needs to trust ME before we can introduce the two, but as i am very anxious, i bought him before my dad really ok'd the animal.. it will be my pet, my bill, and i can provide for it.. i have a great paying job... so i am getting a cage tonight that i can put zappa into. i also contacted a vet and set up an appt, and called petsmart and in the process of talking to their district manager about them paying for the dr bill because i do not want to return this beautiful animal...
thanks for the help and advice.

It's not that he needs to trust you it is just so if the new chin was sick (which he may be) you dont infect the rest of the bunch, i mean other chins!

I'm not so much as criticizing them for not quarantining, it's more of I'm worried about the other chin contracting the illness and advising the OP to keep an eye on him for any signs of illness as well.

i really do not believe there is anything wrong with zappa. he grunts here and there as he explores and sometimes randomly, like a sigh but a soft grunt sound.. his eyes, mouth, teeth, nose, feces, coat, appetite, etc. are all perfectly normal. he is just pretty nervous being in new territory. i have to get him to my home asap and get comfortable with him. i hope he and kenny can be friends!

I have a few that seem to sing as they run around...little squeak songs, I love that. Mr. Howell grunts when he's out because he's weird as can be. I love him, but he sends mixed messages...

yay! that's so cute. my beige, Zappa, really grunts as he bobs around and explores, and when he wants to talk to you.. he is VERY talkative- [i can hear him right now in his cardboard box fort we made them]. he coos at Kenny, too it's so cute.

that being said, they are new best friends. little barking and aggressive behavior the past few days, but last night Zappa stood up on his hind legs and squeaked twice... like he told kenny, "i'm bigger than you! stop harassing me!" now, every time Kenny goes up to him, they both stand up on their hind legs, dance around, kiss, and clean each others ears. the sounds of their bodies rolling around while wrestling is cute and hilarious too.
:laughitup:

One of my girls is quiet for the most part while the other is pretty much constantly making noises. She's always super excited when I go anywhere near the cage and starts talking to me. She'll also sit on my lap while I sing to her and she won't move until I stop, she just stares at me and listens.

y
that being said, they are new best friends. little barking and aggressive behavior the past few days, but last night Zappa stood up on his hind legs and squeaked twice... like he told kenny, "i'm bigger than you! stop harassing me!" now, every time Kenny goes up to him, they both stand up on their hind legs, dance around, kiss, and clean each others ears. the sounds of their bodies rolling around while wrestling is cute and hilarious too.
:laughitup:

Chins do not play wrestle. If they are rolling around, they are fighting. Standing up on the hind legs is not a friendly gesture either, it is a warning/threat. It doesn't sound like they're best friends to me at all.....

As I've said before, I was handfeeding Joey and rubbing his tummy. While rubbing his tummy he moans, groans and squeeks. I would have thought he was dying but I knew that was normal for him. :)

Chins do not play wrestle.

I agree. This just is not typical chin behavior. That's not the way they play. Also the rearing and kacking is not a sign of togetherness, it's a sign of worse things to come.

Back