Grreat Choice Pine Bedding Safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMama

Chinchilla Mama
I just purchased a bag of Grreat Choice Pine Bedding (it is kiln dried) for my chinchilla and I want to know if it is safe to use?

I have been hearing mixed reviews when it comes to using pine bedding, and I don't want to put my chinchilla at risk for respiratory illnesses.

Also, what is the difference between kiln dried pine and aspen bedding? Why is one considered safer than the other?

Note:
-I am currently mixing the pine bedding in with what I have left of my paper pet bedding.

-I do not have bedding covering the entire bottom of her cage- it is all in one corner pan that she uses for her bathroom.

Many many ranchers and large hobby breeders use pine shavings, have for years with no problems. I have used both pine and aspen-I liked pine better due to the softer shavings and the smell, aspen are larger shavings and stuck to everything, plus it was more expensive.

I use pine bedding & shredded paper bedding. Due to allergies and asthma of my own, I try to stay away from pine, but that's not always possible.

I frequent rat, guinea pig, rabbit boards/sites as well, due to occasionally getting those animals in at the rescue... seems part of the reason (as I understand it) why people in many of these groups don't like pine is because the critter's head (and nose, respiratory system) is thisclose to the shavings. A lot of the smaller critters live directly on the shavings, with no shelves. So, if there are going to be respiratory issues (which is a debate for another day), I would bet it'd be more likely in the critters that are closer to the shavings, versus the chins that are typically more up on a shelf away from the bedding....

As far as pine and aspen... they're different woods. Both wood bedding. I've found aspen to be coarser... but then, I've never dug around to find soft aspen (the only aspen I ever have is what's donated -- I go with pine). Aspen seems more expensive to me as well. I can get a huge bag of pine at TSC for $6, the same size bag of aspen is $11. When you go through a lot of it, a few bucks difference makes a big difference...

If you're only using it in a pan, there's even less worry for any sort of issues, as there's physically less of it in the cage...

Thank you!

Thank you so much for the input everyone! Ellie seems to have no problem with the pine bedding and it seems to last much longer than a bag of paper bedding.

Back