Grooming Tools

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EternallyCynical

So, I made a post a short time ago mentioning that my boy is shedding a LOT. He's got a lot of dead hair trapped in his coat and I'd like to try and get some of it out.

I know you can use medium or finer toothed dog combs on chins, but from what I understand the teeth of these combs can be kinda sharp. This worries me because although my boy isn't nippy or anything, he IS really really squirmy and I know he's not going to like being groomed much. Additionally, my fine motor skills are not the best because of a neurological condition that affects my hands. The combination of these factors means that I'm kind of worried about using any kind of sharp/pointy grooming tool on him. I don't want to hurt him by accident!!

That being said, I go have a few small animal grooming tools hanging around that I've used on guinea pigs. One is a small animal slicker brush and the other is a small double sided dog brush. If I cleaned these, would either be okay to use? I will attach a picture. If closer photos of either brush are needed I can procure them.

2u5z2v6.jpg

I have used that purple brush for chins who are pets and not being groomed for show, its works well.

Oh, excellent!! I figured that one would be more likely to work than the other one. My boy's just a pet, no shows, so if that'll do then that's great. If I remember correctly, with combs you go back to front on the chins, right? Should the same be done with this or is brushing gently head to tail okay? Are there any other considerations I should be aware of?

To not p!ss mine off, I just brush them like normal animals, going back to front makes them angry, front to back they act like it feels good.

Slicker brushes are probably not going to cut it. Dog and cat comb teeth are not sharp compared to actual chinchilla combs. If you don't want to buy a number 4 chinchilla comb then I would use a wider tooth dog or cat comb. Brush back to head will get the most fur out. Slicker brushes are just going to get what's on top and not deep down.

Back