Grinding teeth?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nezhka

Do chins grind their teeth when they're annoyed? I've heard my other chins make quiet teeth-grinding sounds, but Buster makes really loud ones.

Thanks!

My little one does the same thing... even when I am gently holding her or feeding her a treat... I wish I knew what it meant!

Bubbles would always click her teeth at me and grind them when I first took her in. Now she never does it, though she does make some really odd noises when she's sniffing my hand to see if it has a treat for her, but I think that's because she's an older girl and can't see very well either.

Mine clicks his teeth sometimes just randomly...it's strange.

Depending on the chin, the clicking and grinding could mean different things. Happiness, annoyance, boredom. You'd have to look at the chin's current demeanor to determine it.

I have one that does so when he is pissed at me (like when I used to have to give him meds) and two that do so when they are happy-usually when they want skritches or just got a treat...

I would just pay attention to his other actions to try and understand it more. Like Stolie is the one who does this when mad, and I know he's mad because he gets on his favorite ledge and "pouts" and later on chips at me...kind of barking

I had a couple of chins do this when I first got them. I figured they were just scared or stressed a little.

Back