Good news regarding Sunshine

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston_

She's back up the the weight she was when I started weighing her.

The Breeder that we got them from had them on rabbit food if I recall, and when we got them we started them on timothy hay pellets from petco. Around 7/22 we began to feed them oxbow pellets. I doubt the petco stuff is really that bad for em, but oxbow looks like much higher quality food (because it is!). You can notice that from that date, Sunshine doesn't really lose any significant weight, and kiwi fattens up quite a bit.

We suspect that kiwi might have been bullied at the breeders home. They were together with a few other girls as a nonbreeding herd. Being bullied would explain why she was so high strung when she was brought home.

We thought that sunshine was the larger one when we first got them. Mainly because kiwi was probably curling up into a small size out of anxiety, also sunshine has a larger, wider head. Anyway, after a while sunshine started to look like the smaller of the two and that, along with the consistent lack of energy prompted me to start weighing them. I figured that if she continued to lose weight and got down to around 575g, then she was in trouble, but it looks like she's back to her healthy self. She's much more active, though she's a bit of a derp, not as active as kiwi either. I still wanna get them a checkup, but for now I feel like I can relax knowing that they are both seemingly healthy.

c1ba411c77272b829f68c193f998f21f2.png

Also, we goth them rosehips for the first time. Sunsine loves any form of treat we have given her. she will take it from you an run up the ledges to the top and eat it. Kiwi will kind of eat some of it and drop it and lose it.

Kiwi's much more picky than sunshine when it comes to treats. We got them these dandelion drops, and kiwi will refuse them all together. After sniffing them she will jerk her head around. I don't blame her, they smell horrible.

It's great that your chins are doing better on the good food, it's always nice when things work out just by improving diet alone. However I would like to give you a couple suggestions, for a better weight chart it's actually best to try to take weights at the same time of day. Their weigh can fluctuate several grams throughout the day based on if they pooped, peed, or ate. Most chins are on a schedule of when they wake, eat, and sleep, so the same time of day each time should give you a more accurate idea of weight loss or gain.
Also, if the dandelion drops you are referring to are those yogurt drops, they are no good for chins, they are way too high in sugar, high in fat, and also chinchillas can't properly digest dairy. So it's probably a good thing they don't like them, lol.

On the chart: I sadly don't live with them and my girl friend doesn't weigh them that i know of. That's why it varies throughout the day. That's also why the dates are so infrequent. It does give enough information to know whether they're losing significant weight. One day they'll have their own room and they'll be measured with lab precision.

On the drops: i totally agree, though i didn't know about dairy. If it's sold in a pet store i don't trust it. Im generally the one that does the heavy research and she just tries to make em happy.

Back