Giardia testing question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddlycuddles

chinchilla freak
Hi all,
I have a question regarding giardia testing. Two weeks ago we adopted a new chinchilla (Little Scarface) and put him in the quarantine ina room separate from our chins.
We also took him to the vet for a general check up. He looks generally healthy and my primary concerns were his teeth, since he is missing part of the upper lip, due to an old injury. Teeth were OK.
Since the chin came from an animal shelter, where he was housed near rabbits, the vet tested his feces and called us back two days later to say that the chin had tested 'level 1 Giardia' (out of 3 lvs) positive.
At the time, I was away from home for the week (after the initial vet visit), my BF got the phonecall last Monday and went to the vet to pick up the meds (Fenbendazole) for the chin. He was instructed to give .27cc to the chin every 24 hs and clean/desinfect his cage twice a day for 5 days- a treatment he followed by the letter.
Since I had no chance to speak to the vet yet, I though I'd ask here from people who had experience with giardia: have your chins ever tested positive for the bacterium, even though their feces seem normal, not soft, squishy or liquid? I guess I am asking if there is such thing as asymptomatic giardia? If anything, Little Scarface's feces are on the dry side and a bit small, perhaps from all the stress of medicine administering.
The vet's office also sad that we should re-test the feces 2 wks following the treatment to establish its success. Since there were no 'visible' symptoms of the illness, it is hard to say anything about the treatment without paying another $50 for the laboratory testing. I am somewhat sceptical about the whole testing process, as this new vet seems to want over-test everything (they claim that chins should be tested every 6 months for parasites, via feces testing and general blood work, totalling about $400 per chin?!)
The chin is still in the quarantine and will remain for another few weeks. I the mean time he is lively, active, curious and appears healthy as any other chin. However I am reluctant to introduce him into my chin room for the fear of potential bacterial infection spreading around...

In my vet office, if your chin has been seen once, they do not require a visit for stool sampling. That way you do not have to further stress your chin with an un nessary visit, you just need fresh poop. In addition, $50 for the test alone seems really high.

As far as the Giardia, I dont have much experience with that, but from what I have read here (and i am sure you can do a search and read for hours, lol!) if they are not displaying any symptons and it was only level 1, I dont think there is much of a concern.
However; I would stick with the plan to Quarantine for another 2 weeks and once he gets back on a regular eating schedule, I would monitor his poop for another 2 weeks before bringing him into the mix with other chins.

Michelle, the cost at my vet for a stool test is 40$ taxe not included. =/

I second Michelle as to only bringing fresh stools (if your vet is far, try to keep the stools cold) to the vet for the test. You don't need to bring the chinchilla. And NO, you don't take your chinchilla in to the vet for blood works and so on on a 6month to yearly basis like dogs and cats. You take them in when they are sick but that is about it.

Some bacterias will only show weight lose as a symtom and no other indication, wether it be behaviour or in their stools. You might want to weigh him regularly, it is usually a good indication as to see if something is going on that we cannot detect visually, and/or things are okay.

Since he is on antibiotics, it would be a good idea to give him probiotics 2+ hours after he has taken his medication to help keep the GI systems going well. The medications not only removes the bad bacteria but the good ones also (that is probably why is stools are dry and small), so the probiotics after 2hours will help. You may need to force feed him to take it in. You can mix it with Critical Care (can get at your vet) or Lifeline (can get at http://www.chocolatechinchillas.com/id6.html.
I do believe some mix it with pured pumpkin if they don't want to take it. This I am not 100% sure.

Last edited:
i'm not sure which method of testing your vet is doing for giardia -- it can be found a few different ways. if your vet is doing the SNAP test for it, those **** things cost about $20 a piece (i did inventory at my old clinic), which says they're doing a pretty high mark up on their lab fees.
yes, animals can be asymptomatic carries of giardia & it can be a pain in the *** to get rid of. not to mention giardia can be spread to people (eeww!), i personally would need the peace of mind of a negative recheck fecal. i'd pass on all the other diagnostics unless you're having a problem, the rest seems a bit overboard.
props to your BF for following your vet's home care instructions, that's awesome! nice to know you've got good help at home, guys can be weird when it comes to sick animal stuff.
keep us posted!

Yes it is true that most clinics here will have the basic test kits on hand, which the cost would be about 20$, but for a more turough test they send it to an external lab. and that is why it is 40$.

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention, you would want to monitor his water and pellet intake, Also look out that his stools improve and not the other way around.

Thanks all for your replies. We decided to have his feces re-tested today and took the sample to the vet. We are now waiting for the results (fingers crossed). Meanwhile, LS is doing well, being playful, silly little chin he is :heart:

Back