Getting a second chinchilla??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devynthecatwithsocks

Hi I have had my chinchilla for a year now and have been dreaming about getting a second. However, Roo is a rescue and lived alone in a garage for most of her life. I dont know how old she is and I dont think she has lived with another chin before. Is there something I could look for in her behavior to know how she would respond to another chin? She is pretty social and gets along with our dogs (seriously the dogs will sleep at the foot of the cage and Roo will come down and sleep at the bottom level next to them). She is incredibly social with me and doesnt get scared easily. I dont know if she would get possessive or aggressive with another chin.

Hello!
Maybe you could try a Chinnie Buddy to see how she'll react with it for a start. Chins can be pretty unpredictable when it comes to how they'll react to other chins, especially if they aren't used to them.
Just know you may end up having to house them separately if things don't work out.
I was in a situation similar to yours. I adopted a 7 year old girl, Chimi, who seemed super friendly, loved people, and didn't really acknowledge other animals.
I decided to get another girl who I got off CL and see if they would bond. Lily, the CL girl, was actually more anti social and did not like to be touched but once we introduced her to my first chin she was smitten.
She would try to talk to Chimi and overall wanted to be with her. Well when we finally decided to start bonding... Chimi ended up being extremely territorial and after months and different bonding methods we stopped trying.
We now have 4 chins, each was adopted(2 by a very good breeder) to bond with each other. None worked out, 2 almost did but in the end I didn't want to risk a fight when I'm not around.
My two sweetest, more social girls are actually my two most territorial towards other chins.
Regarding the Chinnie buddy, both Chimi and Sage ended up hating theirs, Lily and Willow loved theirs, those were the two that I would've had the most success with.

She does have a chinnie budde, has had it for several months now and she doesnt acknowledge it much. When I first got it she did by standing on it, sleeping on it/next to it, and playing with it by throwing it around the cage. Not sure if that means much but now she doesnt acknowledge it that I can see.

I'd say if your willing to have two separately caged chinchillas if it comes down to it, go for it!
She could really like a friend, like I said before they can be pretty unpredictable.
There are some great threads on here about bonding methods that you could read up on too.

Back