Getting A Chin SOON

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandaChilla

Hi, everyone!

I am getting a Chin in a couple of weeks, and I just wanted to be sure about a couple of things...

Food consists of Timothy Hay or Oxbow Chinchilla food?

Is a Ferret Nation single Unit 181 ok for one chinchilla??

Is Anti Pili fleece ok for chins?

How often should I clean my chin's cage??

any products you guys recommend??

ANY Advice would be very appreciated. Thanks! :)

Food should be pellets AND timothy hay. Oxbow is fine. That size cage is fine for one chin. Anti-pill fleece is also fine. How often you clean depends on the chin really. They poop a lot so I vacuum cages out daily to every other day. If you use fleece you will probably need to change it out at least twice weekly. If they pee on the fleece it starts to smell quickly.

They got both pellets and free hay (as much hay as they want; tho they are wasteful.) A chin usually eats some where around 2tbls of pellets a day. I like to measure it to notice if there appetite is changing or they stop eating. Pellets, like oxbow, are made with an alfalfa based hay. Thus we give them western timothy hay to balance it out. - Oxbow food is good for chins, tho on the expensive side.

FN single level is fine for a single chin. Personally, i like the 142 better then the 182 by a long shot. But 142 are not made anymore, you would only be able to find them used from someone privately selling them.

Anti-pill and blizzard fleece are considered chin safe. However if the chin starts to chew, rip, or eat the fleece up, then it must be removed.

As for products, id say maybe a wheel, ledges, plenty of safe chew items. You could get a bass pan to replace the plastic one that comes with the cage. (Plastic is hazardous if chewed). There are plenty of things one could get.

For the wheel, I would recommend the chinspin or the metal flying saucer. One of my girls is litter trained- I use the ecofriendly recycled paper litter pan from petco (in the cat section). I put care fresh in it- but be sure if you try it that your chin doesn't eat it some do.

One of my girls is litter trained- I use the ecofriendly recycled paper litter pan from petco (in the cat section). I put care fresh in it- but be sure if you try it that your chin doesn't eat it some do.

Any type of paper bedding or pan is not safe for chins, especially carefresh. They are going to eat it its just a matter of time and whether or not you see it. But its going to happen. And that stuff can mix with the fluids in a chin and expand causing impaction. This can lead to all sorts of medical problems or even death. I would strongly advise not using that kind of material.

Thanks Stacy! I just got her a few days ago and she is doing fine. I named her Tinsel, and I hope me and her will have a happy relationship. Thanks for the Help!

Back