German Violet vs Afro Violet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I was wondering what is the differences between the german violet and the afro violet?

Are these only available in Germany? Is there anyone here that's had them shipped in?

What are the physical differences if any?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that the afro violet was an ultra violet, which is a tov violet, and I think that the german violet is one that comes from a standard v/c or something, I was looking at once at some european sites, and it was very confusing, so I don't remember so much now :wacko:

I've seen pictures of the German/Deutsch violet and I like it much more than our Afro violet mutation. I will have to look for those pictures...

No, Kathiva, Afro violet is the name given to the violet mutation we currently have here in the US. Just like our dominant whites are technically the Wilson white mutation.

Kathiva, please use the edit button in the lower right of your post if you have something to add within 10 minutes of posting, instead of making separate posts. I've merged your 3 consecutive posts.

Last edited:
For what I know, german violet is brownish in colour where african violet is bluish. I've never seen any germans nor have I seen really good example pics of them.

They're entirely different mutations. Breeding the two together results in standard offspring, they have been mixed into U.S. lines via Carole Kessler. They're actually called Deutsch violets.

Eddie wrote up a nice article on them with photos here.

Get anything, not get nothing. You can never get nothing because there is nothing there to be gotten.

I definately think from the photos I've seen that the afro is a pretty bluer color.

The colour of the two is totally different (& the Deutsch is difficult to describe accurately). The Deutsch is almost a dark steely blue rather than what we would expect from an Afro violet. None of the Deutschs I have seen have had a brown hue though.

just browsing those site, Ive never seen a "blue slate" before, nor have I heard of it. Is it a totally separate mutation?
The German Violet is a lot more sticking. It's too bad that there arent as many out here. The contrast, as sumiko was saying, is really nice.

I thought (but am not entirely sure) that blue slate was a name given to TOV animals with extremely poor veiling. By selectively breeding for animals with the TOV gene, yet incomplete veiling coverage, they got an animal with the TOV phenotypically evident only in the face.

O ok, thats what I was reading up on since posting that. It does look like it would be a poorly veiled black. So genetically, is it a Black?

I'd like to see better quality pictures of the Deutsch violet. From the pictures, the contrast looks like it would be nice, but those images almost make them look like darker standards rather than a mutation.

The black when originally created was less black than the blue slate. It was basically a black spot on the head with a little darker back. I too was wondering if it is basically a black that is not as developed as the others.

I'd like to see better quality pictures of the Deutsch violet. From the pictures, the contrast looks like it would be nice, but those images almost make them look like darker standards rather than a mutation.

As I said in another thread, photographs do not capture the colouring of a Deutsch Violet accurately nor do they do the colour justice. You're right, photos do tend to make them look a bit like dark standards.

I have some photos on my home PC - I will see if I can find them when I go home.

Thanks, Claire! It probably depends on the quality of the pictures, too. The photos used on that site look like they were just captured haphazardly. In all honesty, it'd be nice to see a website that has professional-looking images for chins instead of the "captured on the fly in the cage" types. People could get some better of an idea of the actual color of the animals then.

Here is a link to a german site with better photos of a german violet. Of course the photos still don`t do the color justice. It could be described as the color of an eggplant, for lack of a better way of describing it.

http://www.chinchillazucht.info/

Click on "Mutation rezessiv" and then on "deutsch violett".

Claudia

In the past I've always liked the german violet. I don't know if I just found better pictures or what. From what I've seen on the websites they seem to be much better quality then a lot of african violets. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of them, or the charcoals for that matter. Perhaps once I expand ;)

Back