General URI question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
I know this seems dumb given how I've dealt with one with Furby, but I was wondering if a URI affects the lungs? I know it stands for upper respiratory infection, so the first thing that pops into my head is the upper airway and I want to know if you can hear it in the lungs when checking for one.

Second thing, my chinchilla Waldo sneezes sometimes, not a lot per se, but more than the other two chinchillas (he's also the only one with shavings). And when I hold him next to my shoulder and he starts to squirm and I hold him from jumping away I can sort of... hear him breathing. It doesn't sound like a wheeze it sounds more like he was restrained from moving and breathing with sound, I guess. On all occasions I've heard this, I've taken him to the vet (the last time being yesterday) with the same result from my vet (who I find to be chin-competent) and she says there is nothing wrong with his lungs, she can't hear anything and that he's fine.

There is no discharge from the nose, and when he's calm and not struggling his breathing is inaudible. I guess what I'm wondering is if his lungs and nose are clear and when he's not struggling from being restrained his breathing is silent, should I keep being worried about this?

I know this is a lot, and I know I've asked a lot of URI questions, but I guess I just wanted some clarification because it's been bugging me lately and enro is really sort of... a hassle to deal with side effect-wise if it isn't necessary.

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Yes, URI affects the lungs.

Chins can breath hard when restrained, trying to get loose, etc. As long as there's no wheezing and no signs of URI, no need to worry.

He's a white violet mosaic, and okay, thanks Stacie that makes me feel better... I just freak out since those things really sneak up.

Sometime URI's are undetected so this is not a dumb question Anna. Yes it affects their lungs and the vet can hear that when they are checked. You can also hear it if you hold them to you and listen to them breathe IMO. When Abby had hers there was definitely wheezing your could hear.

I also have chins that sneeze occassionally and sometimes Abby makes a chuffing noise that sounds like a sneeze. At first I thought it was her sneezing but she does it nightly and does not have a URI so it's just something she does--lucky me lol!

Mick St John who is a violet runs around his cage so much at night and if I have to take him out because he is too rambunctious he is always breathing hard and I can hear it but again no URI

they just like to drive us nuts!

Yeah, okay all my guys do something like that. When Waldo's still you can't hear anything. I don't know, I guess URIs scare me a lot, so thanks everyone :))

Back