Fur Tufts

Chichimom

20191108_000710.jpgThis is my chinchilla Timmy. I'm not sure if you can tell from this picture, but he has tiny tufts of fur that stick up all over his back. He is a rescue, and used to chew the hair on his chest and hind quarters quite a lot til I changed him to a better diet. However, I'm still seeing these tufts. Could it be from allowing him free access to his dust bath every night when I let him out to play? He refuses to let me brush or comb him, making an annoyed sound and scurrying away.

Zahrii

View attachment 20756This is my chinchilla Timmy. I'm not sure if you can tell from this picture, but he has tiny tufts of fur that stick up all over his back. He is a rescue, and used to chew the hair on his chest and hind quarters quite a lot til I changed him to a better diet. However, I'm still seeing these tufts. Could it be from allowing him free access to his dust bath every night when I let him out to play? He refuses to let me brush or comb him, making an annoyed sound and scurrying away.
I'm not sure about the tufts, but I know you should only let him have dust baths 2-3 times a week. Excessive baths may contribute to dry skin.

Devynthecatwithsocks

View attachment 20756This is my chinchilla Timmy. I'm not sure if you can tell from this picture, but he has tiny tufts of fur that stick up all over his back. He is a rescue, and used to chew the hair on his chest and hind quarters quite a lot til I changed him to a better diet. However, I'm still seeing these tufts. Could it be from allowing him free access to his dust bath every night when I let him out to play? He refuses to let me brush or comb him, making an annoyed sound and scurrying away.
Um do you pick him up often? Chinchillas do what is called a fur slip. In the wild if a predators has grabbed them they will literally pull out of their fur to get away. Understanding hes a rescue if you pick him up and he's not comfortable he could be fur slipping gout of instinct. It could also be that if he is biting himself that will also cause fur slip cuz even though he is biting himself his body still has that natural reaction. As far as dust baths go its definitely possible you are over doing it. Where you live decides how many dust baths he needs. I live in southern California so I only give Roo a bath 1 a week. If you live in a wet environment like Oregon or somewhere in the east coast then every other day to every 2 days.

Latest posts

Group builder