Fur Real?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha

Ok, so I have a total of six chinnies. I love them all dearly.....but the last few months, my goodness have they been shedding! I've been finding fur everywhere it seems. On my counter, stuck to the walls, etc. My dogs don't even shed like that, and they are pretty hairy! I have to clean chinny fur off of things weekly now. To be honest, I really don't know much about priming but I have heard of it. Chins are supposed to grow new fur every few months from what I understand. When I had only four chins, this didn't seem to be an issue. The babies are five months old now. Could all the fur be coming off of them? Could the babies be going through priming maybe? I've tried to look at pictures of the "priming line", but I really can't tell if any of mine have that or not. Anyone else have shedding issues with multiple chins? If so, what (if anything) did you do to combat it?

Vaccume, my 4 shed heavily in the spring/summer.
I find it helps some what to comb them and get some of that extra fur out of their coat before it flys off...
My cat also sheds heavily in the Sumer months, luckily for her I can use a furminator brush and then give her a bath ... Lol

Oh, yes, I didn't think about it being summer. My dogs shed of course, but I guess it didn't really dawn on me that the weather could affect the chinchillas too as far as shedding goes. I will definitely try combing them! Do you use the furminator brush on your chinchillas too or just your cat? I have one that I use on my dogs and love it, is it safe for chins or will it take out too much fur?

I would like to know about brushes too. I heard the #4 curved brush is used for chinchillas at shows, but so far have been unable to find one on the Internet. Can I use a regular cat brush for chinchillas? Feel free to send me to a web site you know of that has chinchilla brushes.

DoGooder

The same thing seems to be happening around here as well! The chinnies are shedding so much, they seem to have loose fur coming out non-stop!

Chins prime several times a year. I groom mine with a fine toothed dog comb. Do not us the furminator! It will pull out chunks of their coat.

Brushes are messy just use sticky lint rollers. Pulls the loose fur and keeps it all nice and stuck in one spot... toss sticky paper covered in fur and you are done. I guess if people are uncomfortable with this and want a video I can make one.

I don't know how other breeders keep their barns from becoming giant hairballs but eegads mine gets bad. In one week I will accrue several chinchilla sized rolling hairbunnies that will scoot out from under cages and make me think there is a loose chin. I stomp them and put them in the trash, but they've already littered and another will follow me out the next morning. :'/

I have two 20" box fans with the 2000 trueair allergen Hepa furnace filters, a giant honeywell round hepa filter and a 4" external exhaust vent running at all times. There is hair everywhere. Oh, and both of my a/c's have Hepa filters taped to the fronts to keep the hair out. I clean all of them weekly but dang. When I set up this barn design I asked Shoots about airflow. I guess I should have also asked about hairball control too!

Brushes are messy just use sticky lint rollers. Pulls the loose fur and keeps it all nice and stuck in one spot... toss sticky paper covered in fur and you are done.!

Love this idea!!! Sooo easy! I have a suspicion that my chins may not appreciate being combed so I need something to get the job done quick before they wiggle away! What a perfect solution, I'll definitely give that a try :thumbsup:

This is funny because I remember reading somewhere along the line, when I first began to learn about chins, that they didn't really shed. This forum is where I first learned that this is not the case. How well does the lint roller really work?

My boys don't mind the lint roller at all, they actually seem to like it. I also use the hand-vac while I'm cleaning the cage if I notice any hanging chunks on the boys. Other than that lots of vacuuming and lint rolling clothes, carpet and furniture.

Definitly never use a furminator on chins lol they slip fur so it wont be very good :p
Cat brushes should not be used either
Chin combs, and a lint roller work

LOL @ 'asking shoots about furball control'

lint roller! what a great idea!
rutherford is shedding so much, every time i go and kiss him, i get a face full of fur!

Back