Fur chewing or priming?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaJTA

That guy.
Flea and Tik have been together for over a year now, but Tik's attitude has escalated and he has become very antagonistic and sometimes very agressive toward Flea. Flea, for several months, has had really rough fur on his flanks which I attributed to priming. However, it never progresses, and does not comb out. Does this look like priming or fur chewing? I have separated the boys in case Tik is stressing Flea out too much or Tik is doing the chewing (Tik used to chew Flea's whiskers down to nubs).

It is worst on the left side, but there is some on the right.
P1010026.jpg

P1010028.jpg

Thats what my Lola's bum looks like, i thought it was fur growing back in and she was matted when i had her, so i got rid of the matts and her fur is getting like this again, which makes me think chewing...

Honestly it looks to me like the chins were fighting and this one is loosing fur in the process. Normally fur chewing is in patches, this is all over his back. And priming is just a line of fur blowing out, it doesn't look like that in my experience.

It looks to me like a combination of fur slips and chewing. The area in the first picture honestly could be fur chewing. In the second picture, I see what looks like a lot of fur slips.

I agree, 2nd pic is a lot of fur slips. 1st picture almost looks as if all of his fur was combed/brushed forward???

Do you see tufts of fur partially coming out of his flank area? If so, sounds like he is stressed and being chased a lot.

Thanks guys. I have them separated, and I guess they will stay that way for a while... Maybe Tik will calm down one day.

Does not look like chewing to me. It looks like he slipped fur (likely caused by your other chin) and its growing back. A quick and easy way to tell for sure is to see if the shorter fur has a white bar. Fur that is growing back will have dark tips, a white bar, and grey underfur. Fur that is chewed will have the tip and bar chewed off and you'll just see the grey underfur.

If its just slipped fur, it will grow back in 6-10 weeks.

That second pic looks like a lot of slipped fur to me as well but comparing it to that first pic, I'm not really sure.

Below are pics of CJ taken the day I separated him from Pepper, who had been chasing him at night. I was up real late one night and witnessed the whole thing.

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Back