Fur and weight problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iboerbay

Hello first
he is a man and 1 years old
my son is constantly itching and his fur is very sparse
He's very active during the day and I can see him scratching his hands, feet and hips
I feed him pellets and hay but he doesn't gain weight, on the contrary, I feel that he is losing weight.
Ekran Alıntısı1.PNGEkran Alıntısı2.PNGEkran Alıntısı3.PNG

Last edited:
It sounds like a vet visit is in order.

Itchiness could be just dry skin, possible over bathing or too dry in the house, but combined with missing fur my thoughts go towards possible ringworm. Is his skin red and flaky? How much are you feeding him? Also how much is he actually eating? and how old is he? For example an adult chin should be eating roughly 2 tb worth of pellets (even if given unlimited) and a pile of hay the size of a chinchilla per day. If he is eating that much and still losing weight there is likely an issue going on and needs to see a vet. If he isn't eating that much, but use to, then he could have a tooth issue going on.

Is her skin red and scaly? no, her skin looks normal
how do i prevent dry skin?
I give 30 grams of pellets and a large straw ball daily

Is her skin red and scaly? no, her skin looks normal
how do i prevent dry skin?
I give 30 grams of pellets and a large straw ball daily
Oh you must have added the pics while I was relying earlier, lol. How often are you giving baths? Too frequent dust baths can lead to dry skin. If it's getting dry in the house (like turning on heating because of winter) you may need to offer the dust less frequently. The bald area just looks like a fur slip, it's a defence if they get grabbed or something scares them.

So you are feeding straw not hay? Straw is bedding not food, it has no real nutritional value. You want to be feeding a grass hay, ideally timothy hay. Also is he eating all his pellets everyday? If so and still loosing weight you can try adding more and see if that helps.
I see in one of the pics you have two chins? If so are you feeding each that amount a day? 30 grams is the amount for a single chin, so for two you should be feeding at least 60 grams. Also do you have a bowl for each chin? It's not uncommon for one to hog all the food, it's best to have two of everything, food bowls, water bottles, hay areas, that way one can't eat it all or prevent the other from eating.

Back