Fungus?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flouncycat

So, I’m a first time chinchilla owner, although I do have past experience with rats. I’ve only had my boy Shaxx for about 3 weeks, and so far, he has seemed extremely healthy. I give him dust baths 2-3 times per week. I change his bedding every day. Sadly, he hasn’t allowed me to really handle him yet, although he does allow me to give him head, chin, and chest scratches. We’ve spent a lot of time working on trust so I can take him out of his cage without him having an absolute temper tantrum. The other day, I realized that his back leg has no hair and the skin is extremely red, dry looking, and flaky. Research (and asking on a vet forum) has led me to believe it’s possibly ringworm or some type of fungus? Although, I do know that that usually presents itself on the face, and his face and the rest of his body appears fine. I’m trying to get him into the vet, but so far I’m looking at over a week wait to get him in. I’d like to start treating the problem before waiting that long. I know that I can put Tinactin in his dust bath, and I read about blue coat. I guess I’m just double checking to ensure that I’m on the right path. His entire leg looks awful and it seemed like it got that way over night. I have no idea how it could have gotten so bad so quickly. Thanks for any help or advice that you can give.

It's possible that it's ringworm, I would just treat it like it is until you get to the vet. Ringworm is very contagious and can spread to humans, so make sure you wash after touching any of this things or him. Ringworm just needs a moist warm area, which is why it most commonly starts on the face, but if he say peed on himself that could have allowed the ringworm to take hold. It's very itchy so if he spent the night just scratching away that could be how it went from ok to looking bad over night. You can use Tinactin in the bath, blu kote can be used as well, but it stains anything it touches blueish purple until it wears off. Personally I would just go with the tinactin for now unless the vet tells you to use the blu kote simply because it's messy.

Thank you so much. I’m just paranoid and trying to make sure that I’m doing the right thing. I feel so bad for him. I’m deep cleaning his cage tonight and starting him on the tinactin in his dust bath.

I know this is an old post, but it’s exactly what we are going through as well. She’s been with us two weeks. Touching is minimal. I’m positive it’s ringworm (past experience knowledge), and I couldn’t find tinactin powder, so I got lotrimin with the same active ingredient. She’s lost a good amount of fur by her nose, but it’s not irritated. Will the daily medicated dust baths with lotrimin suffice? I can’t apply the Blu-Kote because she won’t let me. I’ve tried distracting her with an apple stick, but she’s not having it. Thanks so much.

I know this is an old post, but it’s exactly what we are going through as well. She’s been with us two weeks. Touching is minimal. I’m positive it’s ringworm (past experience knowledge), and I couldn’t find tinactin powder, so I got lotrimin with the same active ingredient. She’s lost a good amount of fur by her nose, but it’s not irritated. Will the daily medicated dust baths with lotrimin suffice? I can’t apply the Blu-Kote because she won’t let me. I’ve tried distracting her with an apple stick, but she’s not having it. Thanks so much.
The lotrimin powder should be fine. Some ringworm infections can be worse then others though, so daily dust baths might not be enough, sometimes you do need to get the chin to the vet for oral meds. Also you say you already have past experience but just in case, in addition to the scoop of antifungal in the bath you want to be cleaning the cage daily too. Also ALL wood in the cage (hideout(s), ledges, shelves, toys, etc) will need to be thrown away since spores can survive in the wood and reinfect. You can use metal and ceramic items for now if you want so they are easily cleaned/disinfected, then after the ringworm is cleared up then you can put new wood in the cage.

Here is some more info on treating ringworm in chinchillas Ringworm(Skin Fungus)

Thank you for your reply. 😊

I neglected to say that I had removed the wood. And I clean the cage everyday, wash bedding and wipe down surfaces with 50-50 white vinegar and water. My main concern was the lotrimin brand (thank you) and the inability to get the blue-kote on her. We’re in the midst of building trust.. I’m trying to treat her without undoing what we’ve accomplished. She’s very curious and allows us to pet her, but it’s only very brief.

Back