Frustrations with my chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvatore

So this is more of a need to vent than anything, but I gotta say something to people that I know may understand. Sometime back I got my beautiful pink white chinchilla, Kiki, from a breeder up in Washington. Upon first meeting her she was obviously skittish, but that was about it. In the following months she seemed rather aggressive when it came to even a small pet on the head. It was frustrating to say the least. I could tell she was simply tolerating me.

Some time later she starts to nuzzle my hand, but still refuses to be pet. I took this as a sign of affection. I have had numerous failed attempts at bonding her with my more optimistic chinchilla, Mika. She goes for the attack without even a thought of investigating. This blind rage and need to attack or kill is quite disturbing. I have introduced them in a small fenced area far from their cages and she still behaves violently.

I know some chinchillas aren't going to bond but it seems now that the breeder sold her to me for a reason. Initially the breeder told me she was going to put her into breeding and I can see why that never happened. She is a violent little critter and the only interaction she had with another chinchilla was her sister.

This didn't start bothering me until I got my recent chinchilla, Loki. A small very very hand tame little boy. From a hobby breeder in Oregon. The guy clearly spent time with his chins and the behavioral difference shows. Where with Kiki it has been a constant uphill battle. The third chinchilla has just made me more aware of Kiki's aggressive habits and it's frustrating. I've been patient with her for months and she has only had a very marginal change in character.

Ultimately I know she is who she is as a chinchilla, but it's just so frustrating and I hate this mild feeling of resentment I am developing towards her. Maybe someone here can offer me some words of wisdom. I am just frustrated and if anyone can relate it would make me feel much less crazy.

I can relate, I took in a abused rescue that had been returned to the rescue several times since she was nasty and sprayed. She hated everything-humans and chins alike and to boot she was one ugly chin, long and pointy, beedy eyes, bad fur and missing parts of both ears, so not only nasty but not attractive. It took over 6 years to tame her where she would not spray and could be held without spazzing out. There are times when dealing with other messed up rescues I would tell them they are lucky they are cute, with her your could not even say that but when I finally tamed her it gave me alot of satisfaction I turned her around.

What techniques can be used to help a chin like that??? I have an evil one who will spray and bum rush the cage door if you even stop to say hi...she'd kill another chin if given an opportunity...If she goes to spray I let her spray and I don't take my hand out so she learns that won't get her her way...but just not sure what all can be done...

I have two girls that are like that. They just never have learned like people at all, one will not be good at all and the other just has her moments of being likable. I've had a few crazy chins here and they can be very frustrating and hard to deal with at times. The best thing to do is just give chins like this their space and understand that they aren't like the others. Most chins are warm and happy and a lot of fun, but some just don't want to get along with humans or even other chins.

Have you tried asking the breeder if he or she would take them back? It is unfortunate when breeders dont handle animals enough to at least get them to like being scratched, especially when selling to someone a pet.

I had a girl that was passed around to a few homes before she ended up with me. She was mean. She never sprayed, just went straight for biting. She didn't get along with other chins or people. After being with us for 2 years she started to tolerate a hand in her cage to put food in or whatever, but never touch her. After a while I got frustrated and almost gave up on her. Instead of giving up I just started doing exactly what I did with the boys everyday. She had to take a treat or stick from my hand like they did or she wouldn't get it. She couldn't come out for playtime if she didn't let me pick her up. I think what finally broke her was that I would sit and talk to her everyday. She started coming and sitting by me when I was talking to her. Eventually she would be waiting for me to come and talk to her and I could open the cage door and she'd run up my arm and perch on my shoulder. All of that took about a year. She got so bonded to me that she would spend most of her time out of the cage with me when I was home, just sitting on my shoulder. She was nicer to everyone else too, even my roommate that she previously hated the most out of everyone. Sadly she passed away a little over a year ago, but I'm now happy knowing that the last year of her life was likely her happiest.
You just have to have lots of patience and lots of time and lots of love.

Have you tried asking the breeder if he or she would take them back? It is unfortunate when breeders dont handle animals enough to at least get them to like being scratched, especially when selling to someone a pet.

Yeah, I actually have given that some serious thought. Especially since I don't think I'd ever trust anyone inexperienced with chinchillas to take her. The thing holding me back is the guilt of telling this breeder she was going to a forever home and the fact that it's a six hour drive to get there :/

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It helps to know that I'm not the only one dealing with a difficult chin.

My little one is still skitish after a year but is coming around. She was not aggressive but I can relate to what you are going through because not being able to hold them is upsetting.

I agree that Kiki may come around with time, patience and a lot of love. Like Lola she may never want to be held but will come to trust and bond with you.

You've had other chins so you have what it takes to bring her around. Just think of her as you "difficult child".

Good Luck.

Back