Frustrating humidity

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, the new arrivals to the household are here. Bandit & Buttons, the dynamic brother duo. I thought I'd be the most excited person alive once they got here and got a little settled in.. but then the atmosphere had to mess everything up. I have a dry heater running and an AC (that's suitable for the room I have space-wise) with a dehumidifying function. Those two are on A LOT. But, for some unknown reason, the humidity won't change from 56%. The temp control is fine, it usually stays around the beginning 60s. This issue has had me worrying for hours on end, and I probably won't get much sleep tonight. I just want my fluffy children to be okay. :wacko: Any tips on how I can lower the enemy that is humidity?

Does the room feel cool to you? If it does, it's most likely fine. Even with AC and a dehumidifier, fighting humidity here is a losing battle most days. If it feels nice and cool with me being very active in the chin barn, then I call it good.

Does the room feel cool to you? If it does, it's most likely fine. Even with AC and a dehumidifier, fighting humidity here is a losing battle most days. If it feels nice and cool with me being very active in the chin barn, then I call it good.
Update, I stopped using the AC completely and relied on the heater. It's 56% humidity and 66 F temperature. Is that decent, or would I have to do something else?

Last edited:
Update, I stopped using the AC completely and relied on the heater. It's 56% humidity and 66 F temperature. Is that decent, or would I have to do something else?

I'd say good enough. So long as the temp is below 70 then the humidity can go up to about 60% before you start having real issues.

Just curious were you using the dehumidifying function on the ac? or just running the ac? I know my ac units both have a dehumidifying function, but you have to select dehumidify not ac.

The AC is on the dehumidifying function. But, for whatever reason, it tends to raise the humidity but cool the room down very quickly. I try to turn the heater on until it gets to 70 F , (the humidity is around the late 50s) and then I turn the heater off and turn the AC on the dry function on until it gets to around 50 F which takes around an hour. But it raises the humidity up to the 60s. It's just an endless, irritating cycle at this point, but I'm working on figuring out the kinks in the system.

Back