Friendly chin!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

When i got Maggie i had expected her to be hiding and scared for quite awhile after everything i had read about chinchillas.
My 4 year old son had wanted a rabbit. I did some research on rabbits and read and heard from several people that they are territirial and bite often. Obviously i didnt want an animal to bite my son. No offense to anyone that has rabbits, i know there are alot of nice ones out there too but i didnt want to chance it. So i have experience with guinea pigs and i was interested in chinchillas so i let him pick between the guinea pig and chinchilla. He picked the chinchilla and we are both so happy he did. She is not like anything i expected! She is super freindly. She is not afraid of strangers,dogs,cats, pretty much nothing! I was just wondering how many other people have chins like this? She absolutly hates being held but doesnt mind patting scratching and likes to climb on you. Her first day in my house she was sniffing my dog thru the cage bars. When people come over she is right at the cage door checking them out. I think its really amazing,especially considering she came from petsmart. Is this unusual? Like i said all the books and articles ive read say they are curious but not freindly until they get to know you.
A couple of weeks ago when she was out of her cage playing with my son he said " mom i have the best chinchilla ever!!"
It was so adorable and so reasurring that i got him the right pet.
Alot of people say they are not for children but it really depends on the situation because he is great with her. Obviously i help and clean her cage and play with her but he is always helping,even cries if he doesnt get to be the one to feed her lol. I wish i knew how to put pics on her so i could put pics of them on here.
Sorry for the longness!

The cat is actually scared of her. If the cat is near the cage maggie will run over to sniff him and he runs away. They dont touch eachother tho,i just ment that she does not hide from the cat or show any fear when he is near by

...or the dog. All it takes is one bite or swipe and your chin's dead. Not injured, dead. It's not worth the risk.

Also, some chins do bite. It's not incredibly common from what I've read on here, but it definitely happens. My oldest chin is NOT a morning chinchilla and will take a chunk out of my finger if given the opportunity. Any other time of day, he's a perfect, cuddly, friendly little love.

Regarding Maggie's behavior, it's awesome that she's as friendly as she is. Chins, like people, have unique likes, dislikes and personalities. Some chins are shy. Some are friendly. Some don't want to be bothered with you unless you have food in your hand. It really varies by chin. Since you have a 4 year old, you definitely got lucky in that regard. Hopefully she won't go Jekyll and Hyde on you the way Boji did with me. :))

I hope not lol. We have only had her for two months so i hope she does not change.
The dog also only sees her thru the cage too. When we first got her he use to sniff her alot but he doesnt bother much anymore. He also had this facination with trying to eat her cuddlebone which i thought was weird but its not in her cage anymore so its not a problem.

From what I've read, there's no need for the cuttlebone except in nursing mothers and/or malo chins. Neither are my expertise, but I'd remove it, as they don't need the extra calcium.

Last edited:
Also the dog has grown up with cats birds and guinea pigs and actually is fond of them. My mother had two parakeets and when my cat goes anywhere near there cage the dog barks and chases the cat away. He does it when the cat goes near the chinchilla cage too but thats not very often because the cat seems frightened by the way maggie leaps and jumps and runs so fast.
Either way the dog doesnt interact with birds/chinchilla out of cage just to be safe.

Bacteria is still an issue. The chin should be in a separate room away from the other animals.

Yeah i got her at petsmart which i know now was a mistake because they knew absolutly nothing about chinchillas BUT i am glad to have her. But they told me alot of things that were wrong. Salt wheels,cuttlebones,junkfood,plastic igloos. I had researched some before we got her but not enough. I had to thro alot of stuff away and start over.

Yeah, that's pretty common. I think we all do that when we first find this forum. Most books and other sources are completely useless. I just search on here when I need to find an answer.

I have no room to keep her seperated right now i am staying at my mothers but i will be moving in the next few months and will have a seperate room for her hopefully. Ithought she would be fine if they are not touching her....

Your chin has giardia. You're risking the health of your chin and your other animals. What if your cat or dog eats your chin's feces? Any sick animal should always be quarantined to protect them and the other animals in your household. You're playing with fire over there.

Since i found out she is sick she is only coming out in the bathroom and only when i am completly bleaching her cage. Which i have been doing every other day. They dont have contact with her poop,and they do not touch her. I wash my hands after touching her. Also everything is out of her cage right now because of the giardia so her ledges and bridges are not in there. The base of her cage is 6 inches all around,nothing can really get out of that because she is not at the top of the cage because the ledges are out.
I am doing the best possible job i can to take care of her and to keep everything clean. I sweep and mop with bleach around her cage and clean her cage constantly. I love my animals and i take very good care of them.

I also sweep and bleach bathroom floor after she has been in there.

Which is great, but she should still be isolated. Chins throw their poop and dogs eat everything. All it takes is one loose poo. They're microbial cysts. I wouldn't take the risk.

I dont think i am doing anything wrong, i have been trying extremly hard to keep everything clean and overcome this giardia. I ordered lifeline and dyne from dawnna and it should be here tomorow, she was very helpful and seems to really know what shes talking about so im hoping this is all gonna work.
Thank you for all the info.

Dawnna is great! And I think it's wonderful that you're doing as much as you can. I'm just telling you what I would do differently. Good luck.

Albon** not dyne. Sorry i was reading her website so much i got confused lol

I know thank you for the advice, i will try to figure out how to keep them seperated for now.

Back